This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simcard slot randomly stops working and leaves me offline.

dantnt
Star I
Hi, it's almost since the beginning of December that I'm facing this problem. Whatever sim card i put on slot 1, it randomly stops working. Sometimes all of a sudden, sometimes when I deactivate the airplane mode in the morning.
There's a 50/50 chance I'm able to recover it, otherwise I have to wait until it goes back to work again. It could take hours or even days. Living in a foreign country it's a must have (for me) to have both sims working all time.
I have already tried all the easy steps you mentioned to the other guys: clear cache, restart, swap sim, use only slot 1, reset the network settings -> no success at all.
I then tried to upgrade to Android 12 hoping it was just a software bug: nothing. Then I tried to reset the phone: nothing.
I then started looking at the logcat (focusing on the errors) to see if some info are useful for you (which you can look at the pics attached)
Now, I bought the smartphone in my birth country but now i'm living in another one (Still in Europe) for work reason. How can I get support without staying with no smartphone, which nowadays is a vital device for the everyday life? Is this a software bug that could be solved with the next patch?
8 REPLIES 8

dantnt
Star I
Ok yesterday something worse happened.
I was watching YouTube on wifi. Both SIM were functioning.
Suddenly the screen goes black. No response from touch nor all of the buttons. I had to force restart it. After that the SIM 1 was dead (almost as usual).

Roystoys
Zen Master III
dantnt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/203219#Comment_203219

After the first slot stops working I don't get any signal. The phone just thinks I have only the second sim installed. Therefore I can select, of course, only the slot 2 as preferred data services (If you mean that option in the "sim card" settings menu).

Those logs I captured could be useful for the devs? Do you think it's something fixable by a fw update?

View post
I don't know but I have had similar experiences on my zenfone 7. I ended up getting a replacement Sim card which seems to have helped but it still happens from time to time, not as bad as yours though. If it happens to me I have to turn it onto flight mode and off again and it comes good. So thinking about it probably yes a FW update could be the fix , only problem is the two of us are not enough for the powers that be to sit up and take note.

goctavian
Star II
What firmware/Android do you have? I used to have trouble with the first SIM, just not as bad. It stopped working for voice calls once (it took a restart to recover) and I used to lose data connection when moving in different areas of the country. I initialy thought there was a SIM card problem. But I updated the phone to android 12, and since then I've had no problems with the data connection, no matter where I went.

dantnt
Star I
goctavian

What firmware/Android do you have? I used to have trouble with the first SIM, just not as bad. It stopped working for voice calls once (it took a restart to recover) and I used to lose data connection when moving in different areas of the country. I initialy thought there was a SIM card problem. But I updated the phone to android 12, and since then I've had no problems with the data connection, no matter where I went.

View post
I did everything that was possible to do without voiding the warranty. Of course also upgrading to A12, reformat, clean cache and whatever.
I will probably switch to the Galaxy S22 (it's a pity they don't include Asus phones in their trade-in offer) and send this zenfone to be serviced. And thereafter hopefully manage to sell it as second hand...
That's sad because I like it a lot, but I didn't expect to find malfunctions even in basic stuff like CALLS/DATA... malfunctions that I never found even in cheaper unknown brands.