cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth issues with Android 13 update

michaelTee1
Star II

Model Name:  ZenFone 8
Firmware Version: WW_33.0210.0210.210 (TKQ1.220807.001.33.0210.0210.210)
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Every time
Name & APP Version:

- Apps using Bluetooth devices on the fly without being paired on the system. EliteHRV, HRV4Training, KubiosHRV, Polar Beat, SmartRow. Fully updated.

All these apps connect to devices (SmartRow pulley and HRM strap) without having the BT devices paired through the system/OS pairing, but rather do on-the-fly pairing through the apps.

The problem is that since the Android 13 update, the devices connect but don't provide data, apart from SmartRow BT pulley which provides glitchy data with constant dropouts.

I see that Google released an update for Google Pixel https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/200738915?hl=en that has a fix for bluetooth devices not pairing.
> Fix for issue occasionally preventing connection with certain Bluetooth devices or accessories

Any ETA for ASUS to release it for ZenFone 8? Or any workouts meanwhile? I tried clearing caches, reseting Bluetooth, reinstalling apps, disabling all battery optimizations and OptiFlex through the phone system, no luck.

Thank you

21 REPLIES 21

> 1. Did the BT pairing issue begin after Android 13? Did you have any issues in A12?
No issues on A12, it started as soon as I updated to Android 13.

> 2. Can you try going into settings > security & lock screen > check Google play system is up to date Jan, 2023.
Fully updated at. Android version: 13, Google Play system update: 1 February 2023

> 3. Go to google play system>check if google related apps are updated to latest version.
Fully updated, no pending updates.

> 4. Go to Setting>system>reset options>reset wifi, mobile& Bluetooth.
> 5. Connect BT devices and ZF8 again and check if the problem persists.
Done, didn't help.

> 6. If the problem persists, please provide your User ID, BT device model, a summary of issue.
ZenFone 8. Android 13. (Security patch: 5 January 2023)
Build number: TKQ1.220807.001.33.0210.0210.210
System version: WW_33.0210.0210.210
Baseband version: M3.13.24.77-Sake_0000110
Kernel version: 5.4.147

Same issue as reported on the top and by others. Many Bluetooth devices don't connect properly to the ZenFone running Android 13.
Issue present at least on the following examples:
- Polar H10 heart-rate monitor doesn't connect successfully nor transmit data to any apps like Polar Beat, EliteHRV, HRV4Training, but issue will probably be present on hundreds of apps that connect to heart-rate monitors.
- Whoop band doesn't pair successfully nor transmit data to the official Whoop app.
- SmartRow pulley and Polar H10, don't work with SmartRow app.

> 1. Did the BT pairing issue begin after Android 13? Did you have any issues in A12?
No BT issues before upgrade to Android 13. After downgrade to Android 12 no more issues. Upgraded to Android 13 again and the issue reappeared.

> 2. Can you try going into settings > security & lock screen > check Google play system is up to date Jan, 2023.
Yes, January, 2023.

> 3. Go to google play system>check if google related apps are updated to latest version.
All is up-to-date.

> 4. Go to Setting>system>reset options>reset wifi, mobile& Bluetooth.
Reset done. That fixed the issue with the car loudspeaker (voice in voice calls was not heard). Other devices are not working.

> 5. Connect BT devices and ZF8 again and check if the problem persists.
Yes, the issue persists after reconnect.

> 6. If the problem persists, please provide your User ID, BT device model, a summary of issue.
BT version: BTFM.HSP.1.0.0-00896-QCAHSPROMZ-1.441976.1
Summary of the issue:
- Suunto Smart Heart Rate Belt is detected, but data is not transferred
- OBD2 ELM327 Diagnostic Interface is detected and paired, but data is not transferred

I just received OTA upgrade to Android 13 WW_33.0210.0210.269. The issue persists.

@keren_ASUS  Is there a chance that the Bluetooth issue will be addressed? I would stay on Android 12, but I'm forced to upgrade to Android 13 few days after downgrade.

Same here, upgraded to Android 13 WW_33.0210.0210.269 and issue still there, no change.

ilpos
Star I

I have exactly the same issue with Zenfone 9 (Android 13) and Polar H10/Polar Plus.

Zenfone 9 can see H10 and after trying to pair, eventually message comes: "Couldn't pair with Polar H10 because of an incorrect PIN or Passkey".   Polar H10 does not have PIN or passkey; no interface to enter it.

I got Polar H10 only after upgrading to Android 13. None of Polar advice at https://support.polar.com/en/troubleshooting-polar-h9-h10-heart-rate-sensor helps.

Polar H10 connects instantaneously with my old Samsung Galaxy S10e. Looks like problem is with Zenfone 9, Android 13 version at least.