System: Zenbook S 13
Battery or AC: Irrelevant
Model: UM5302
Frequency of occurrence: Irrelevant
Reset OS: Irrelevant
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:

After watching so many review videos about the rumored USB4 function, I pulled the trigger on UM5302. As stated in those videos, this device needs a beta BIOS to support USB4. As I unboxed the new device and installed both latest Windows driver from AMD and tried the latest Linux kernel (5.19), I was still not able to get USB4 to work on this device. I then looked up further and realized ASUS has officially ceased support of USB4 on this device as seen here: asus website support article 1131.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the said beta BIOS, knowing that it might cause more harm than good, and be willing to take certain responsibilities? In where I live, returning an unboxed and activated unit is difficult, thus I prefer not to go through the lengthy process and just keep the device, but I absolutely need USB4 as my workflow depends on 10GbE, and there's no way I can get my jobs done without USB4.

Best Regards,

B.G.
26 REPLIES 26

Blueskull
Star III
daluosi

img-20221013-235019.jpg

My zenbook s13 is marked with 2 USB4 ports on the packaging, so can I request a return? I bought it on July.

View post
This is the package for Chinese mainland market. As far as I know, Asus China has a separate sales and RMA system than internationally, besides Asus has long released a PCN stating that USB4 is a typo and it should read USB3.2. I think your chance of returning it is slim, but OTOH I don't really think you need to return it.

The killer feature of USB4/TBT3 is dual 4K 60Hz, which is supported on this device already with an MST+DSC hub (Lenovo 40AY should be fine). With DP MST+DSC over USB3.2 type C, you get dual 4K 60Hz plus 10Gbps of data, which is even better than TBT3 (with TBT3, the DP does not feature DSC, so dual 4K 60Hz eats most of the bandwidth, plus USB3.2 is expanded through PCIe x1, so you only get 8Gbps of data).

eGPU was not a really good idea considering its cost per performance is quite high, and that the iGPU was already good enough for everything but gaming, and the CPU TDP is not good enough for demanding games anyway. Not that the sustained performance is bad, but the stutter.

With a lower TDP and thus shorter turbo boost period, games will more likely have to yield to more preemptive tasks such as the OS itself, creating temporary stutters. The average FPS remains high, but the stutter kills the experience.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.