This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UX461FN: able to drive a docking station with TWO ext. 4K monitors over DisplayLink?

peter_erne
Star I
System: UX461FN
Battery or AC:
Model:
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:does anyone know if the UX461fn is able to drive two 4k screens over the available USB-C 3.1 gen 1 interface and an attached docking station, e.g. from PLUGABLE or ICY-BOX? Or at least ONE 4K screen and a HD screen? However, I am not 100% sure what my UX461 actually provides: USB-C 3.1 or 3.2. ASUS is not clear on this if I compare pages in different languages. It looks as if former 3.1 is now 3.2 but 3.2 Gen 2 only supports USB-C while 3.2 Gen 1 also USB-A and microUSB. UX461 only seems to support Gen1 = 5 GBit/s. Is this correct?
2 REPLIES 2

Falcon_ASUS
peter.erne
  1. System: UX461FN
  2. Battery or AC:
  3. Model:
  4. Frequency of occurrence:
  5. Reset OS:
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:does anyone know if the UX461fn is able to drive two 4k screens over the available USB-C 3.1 gen 1 interface and an attached docking station, e.g. from PLUGABLE or ICY-BOX? Or at least ONE 4K screen and a HD screen? However, I am not 100% sure what my UX461 actually provides: USB-C 3.1 or 3.2. ASUS is not clear on this if I compare pages in different languages. It looks as if former 3.1 is now 3.2 but 3.2 Gen 2 only supports USB-C while 3.2 Gen 1 also USB-A and microUSB. UX461 only seems to support Gen1 = 5 GBit/s. Is this correct?

UX461FN: able to drive a docking station with TWO ext. 4K monitors over DisplayLink?
@peter.erne
Unfortunately, the USB-C of UX461FN does not support display.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

peter_erne
Star I
Thanks, Falcon_ASUS! I found a solution using a docking station AND it REQUIRES DISPLAYLINK. This took me quite some hours and to buy the docking station but works perfectly. i bought a second hand DELL D3100 docking station (ca. 60 CHF instead of 200 CHF for a new one). The UX461fn is a great device but a bit limited re. connectivity. Since this is an issue discussed in the forum multiple times, I propose that ASUS makes an entry in the Q&A section, that this is a possible option (even with a disclaimer that ASUS does not take responsibility for it to work under all circumstances/with all possible combinations).
My solution: DisplayLink and a DisplayLink-certified docking station. DisplayLink overcomes the limitations of a USB-connection (e.g. USB-SS) not natively supporting a display connection. I installed the DisplayLink driver under Win10 and connected the D3100 docking station to the UX461. Works perfectly over USB-A or USB-C interface with 1x 4K monitor (via DisplayPort) and 1x HD monitor. Resource usage is pretty low. Now I love the UX461fn even more! The D3100 supports a max. of THREE external monitors (1x 4K/30Hz, 2x 2048x1152/60Hz). DisplayLink is available for Mac and Linux as well.