This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with speakers (BIOS problem) on ZenBook 14?

VL
Star II

Hello, folks. I've bought ZenBook 14 UM3402YA. It has one annoying problem - speakers don't work because BIOS doesn't have necessary _DSD or ACPI tables. Here's a conversation about it - https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215993#c27 . Finalizing the conversation - the laptop needs BIOS update with _DSD fix. AFAIK, there was no update for the model since august 2022 (at least there's nothing here - https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-home/zenbook/zenbook-14-oled-um3402/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=UM340...). More than a year we have no sound and look's like nobody bother. But I'm not. I need working speakers. Any suggestions how to get with contact with someone who's able to help? My local (regional) support ASUS center doesn't give a ****. They literally say 'Not our problem'.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

@Falcon_ASUS 

1. Current system? Are you talking about laptop or OS? Laptop is UM3402YA. OS is 23.04.

2. 310.

3. Kernel driver from 6.4.5 with cirrus firmware from main git branch (July 2023 release).

4. Any video would be non informative. It's sound. Missing of sound when something producing the sound looks like a missing of sound...

@VL 
I mean the version and build numbers of Microsoft Windows.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

VL
Star II

@Falcon_ASUS 

I don't use MS Windows and hopefully never will. That was one of my points from the very beginning (I posted URL to Linux kernel development mailing archive with the problem discussion). Most of ASUS laptops works fine under GNU/Linux. However this one UM3402(/YA/YAR) is not. That's why I ask to fix it and in the name of justice. GNU/Linux is no more marginal platform and OS. Supporting it brings a lot positive to ASUS as well. It's not of a big deal TBH. A lot of work is done by community.

@VL
Unfortunately, since we have not tested the Linux system, we cannot guarantee its stability and compatibility with you.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

VL
Star II

I completely understand, you are not. That's not a questions neither a suggestion. I'm trying to ask you to fix just a little problem. BTW it's not only GNU/Linux or *BSD problem. On Windows speakers work because your developers or MS developers hardcoded necessary information into Windows driver instead of adding it to BIOS. That's a so called "wrong turn". Nobody benefit from it. Please, tell you development team to fix BIOS.