This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux support on Zenbook S13 OLED (UM5302TA)

dedaniahenil
Star I
System: Zenbook S13 OLED
Battery or AC: N/A
Model: UM5302TA
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: N/A
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:
There has been previous discussion about this in zentalk(dot)asus(dot)com/en/discussion/63549/linux-on-zenbook-s-13-oled . Many of the things like keyboard, bluetooth are already working on the recent versions of linux kernel.

But there are still things like sound from speaker not working and External microphone not getting detected (i.e. headphone plugged in via jack), though internal microphone works.

Related to speaker sound, from: bugzilla(dot)kernel(dot)org/show_bug.cgi?id=216194 it looks like this need the firmware to be updated from Asus side to get it working.

Related to external microphone from: asus-linux(dot)org/blog/sound-2021-01-11/ there are ways to fix this but the process is extremely hard to follow. Maybe Asus engineer can figure out the issue from the blog and create a easy fix for it?

If this 2 things can be fixed by Asus team it would be very useful for anyone using linux.
10 REPLIES 10

dedaniahenil
Star I
Also from this comment (bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215993#c25) there have been some updates regarding firmware from cirrus side, but it still need action from Asus size (bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215993#c25)

Blueskull
Star III
dedaniahenil

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/242046#Comment_242046

Wow thanks for the detailed explaination! From your explaination it only looks like patch is related to speakers voltage. Do you know of any way to get external microphone (microphone of earphone or headphone plugged in via jack) working?

View post
No, unfortunately. I'm not a Linux driver wizard, but I guess it is a channel pin mux issue, like most ALC chips suffer from. A tool called hdajackretask might help you with this.

I only know things about digital amplifiers and boost converters because I hold a PhD in power electronics. As they have said, a PhD knows everything about something, and nothing about everything else.

dedaniahenil
Star I
Blueskull

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/242075#Comment_242075

No, unfortunately. I'm not a Linux driver wizard, but I guess it is a channel pin mux issue, like most ALC chips suffer from. A tool called hdajackretask might help you with this.

I only know things about digital amplifiers and boost converters because I hold a PhD in power electronics. As they have said, a PhD knows everything about something, and nothing about everything else.

View post
So does this mean you are also facing issue of external microphone not working?
I just want to confirm its a general issue with this device and driver because i haven't seen alot of ppl talk about it.

As they have said, a PhD knows everything about something, and nothing about everything else.
haha reminds me of "A Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one"

Blueskull
Star III
dedaniahenil

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/242080#Comment_242080

So does this mean you are also facing issue of external microphone not working?

I just want to confirm its a general issue with this device and driver because i haven't seen alot of ppl talk about it.

As they have said, a PhD knows everything about something, and nothing about everything else.

haha reminds me of "A Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one"

View post
I don't have a microphone with a combo jack, so I'm sorry that I can't really check it for you.

Blueskull
Star III

The speaker issue has been solved once and for all. Asus has released a new BIOS, version 311, which has a proper DSDT containing proper speaker configuration data. At this moment, only performance mode (acpi platform profile) and fingerprint are not working.

The GPU freeze issue I mentioned in another thread was also fixed in kernel 6.1.9 and 6.2-rc6, then a few tweaks were added subsequently. Upgrade to the latest 6.1.12 or 6.2 should fix the GPU issue.

I hope Asus's next BIOS (312) will fix performance mode (again, a BIOS ACPI table issue), and hopefully bring us USB4 support. By then, this laptop would be a dream for everyday mobile Linux users.