Star I
System: WIn10
Battery or AC:
Model: UX32VD Zenbook Ultra
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:I have a UX32VD zenbook notebook, and want to replace the original SSD. I am unsure if I can just replace it with a SATA Samsung 870 EVO SSD.
Anybody knowledgeable with this
5 REPLIES 5

kasta
Star I
I have a UX32VD zenbook notebook, and want to replace the original SSD. I am unsure if I can just replace it with a SATA Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

kasta
Star I
Or do I need to buy an M.2 NVME SSD ??

Falcon_ASUS
kasta
  1. System: WIn10
  2. Battery or AC:
  3. Model: UX32VD Zenbook Ultra
  4. Frequency of occurrence:
  5. Reset OS:
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:I have a UX32VD zenbook notebook, and want to replace the original SSD. I am unsure if I can just replace it with a SATA Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

ux32vd SSD Upgrade -- Which SSD to use
@kasta
Since your laptop is an earlier product, we may not be able to guarantee the stability and compatibility after replacing the SSD with you. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

kasta
Star I
Not sure I understand why there would be a stability issue. All I’m doing is replacing your mSATA Sandisk with a Samsung 2.5” EVO SATA drive.
they are both SATA protocol and both are same speeds.
Are you referring to the faster speed  M.2 NVME SSD that could be unstable.
I did some more digging regarding using the  M.2 NVME SSD, and concluded the chips and BIOS on my old ASUS UX32VD would not be suitable for this higher speed SSD.
Also I did some checks in the laptop and see that pins 7,8,9 of the SATA power connector have 3.3V on them instead of 5Volts. This is not correct for a SATA connector, so I’m guessing ASUS did this to get 3.3V to the mSATA memory board.
I think the motherboard had a jumper so 5V can be routed to the SATA connector, and do allow use of a SATA SSD.
mum investigating this now.