This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchpad enable/disable key not working on ASUS X556UQ laptop

Tassable
Star I

I have an ASUS X556UQ that was given to me used. It is about 5 years old. The touchpad enable/disable key (f9) does not work in either Ubuntu 22.04 LTS or Windows 10 Pro. So the problem appears to at a more basic level than the operating systems. It appears to be, for example, a hardware problem or at the level of the BIOS or other. I went into the BIOS and reset the BIOS settings to "Optimized Defaults," but that did not help the problem.
Can anybody make any suggestions as to how I might correct this problem of the touchpad enable/disable key (f9) not working?
Thank you,
T.

7 REPLIES 7

Falcon_ASUS

@Tassable 
Please confirm if you have tried the following:
1. Installing the ATKPackage. 
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/ATKPackage/ATK_Package_V100061.zip?model=x556uq 
2. Installing the touchpad driver.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/SmartGesture/SmartGesture_Win10_64_VER4012.zip?... 

If the issue still persists, we recommend trying to restore the system to determine if it is caused by a system malfunction. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 
[Windows 11/10] How to reset the PC and remove all of my personal files, apps and settings 

Falcon,

Regarding your three suggestions, it sounds like all three of your suggested fixes may fix the problem in Windows 10 Pro (which would be significant), but not fix the problem for Ubuntu, correct? In other words, the fix would be at the Operating System Windows level, correct?

These solutions might well work for me, since I have figured out how to disable and enable the touchpad in Ubuntu (specifically Lubuntu) using the xinput Terminal commands; specifically xinput to list the devices with the touchpad number (13) and then xinput --disable 13 and xinput --enable 13 to disable and enable the touchpad in Lubuntu.

Thanks,

T.

@Tassable
Yes, since we have not conducted any testing on Linux systems, we cannot guarantee their stability and compatibility. The troubleshooting methods we provide are limited to Microsoft systems only. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Falcon,

Sorry for the delay is replying. I was waylaid by the July 4th holiday and the extended illness of a relative. I have downloaded the two zip files ATKPackage and the touchpaddriver. And I extracted the files from both of the two zip files, but I am unsure which of the extracted files I need to click on to install and whether or not order is important in installation.

QUESTION(S): Please tell me which of the files I need to click on to install and in what order. And after installation, what should I do?

Thank you,

T.