Headphone Jack Issue- crackling sound

KevinTsuna
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5 16gb
Firmware Version: WW 1226.139-0
Rooted or not:Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Sometimes
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Any app that outputs sound
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
When connected to the headphone jack and playing music/watching videos, the phone outputs a crackling sound/noise together with the sound it's supposed to be playing. It doesn't do this when using the speakers. I've tried using different headphones but the issue still occurs from time to time, especially when the volume is more than 50%.
Headphones used:
Sennheiser HD 58x
Phillips SHP9500
The issue might be similar to this: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63944/crackling-sound-from-headphone-jack-on-high-volume
Cheers,

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5

login078
Star III
This happens to my RoG 5 8gb too, during heavy gaming sessions after android 12 update. Never occurred while using speakers. To remove the static noise, i unplug and plug my earphones. I tried ".12345+=" on calculator to test and my 3.5mm jack works fine for now.

keren_ASUS
Hi Login078,
Can you help us out and share a log of this issue? You can share the link on this post.
Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).
1.  Open “Calculator APP”
2.  Enter “.19595+=”
3.  Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.
4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.
5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".
6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.
Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)

KevinTsuna
Star II
The frequency of the issue occuring is increasing recently. I tried screen recording but it won't capture the crackling sounds. Even if I hear it, it won't be recorded and will occur at different times in the duration of the screen capture. Unplugging and plugging the headphones back don't resolve the issue. I think the crackling sound started after the release of Android 12. I don't think I've encountered this prior to the first A12 update.

KevinTsuna
Star II
Addendum:
Using a 3.5mm USB dongle won't replicate the issue. So the problem must be the headphone jack/ or software related to the headphone jack.