cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update on Asus ROG Ally fails

ilkeraktuna
Star I

On my Asus ROG Ally , I see 2 Windows update items:
1. 2024-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 (KB5041585)
2. Cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 (KB5042099)

When I try to install these, first they get installed. Then it asks for a restart.
After restart it goes to blank screen (black)
And never comes back. (I left it throughout the night powered through cable)
If I shut it down from power button and restart, it roll backs the update and goes into Windows.
Then I see they are not installed.

it says following error numbers for each update:
1. Install error: 0x8007045b
2. Install error: 0x8007045b

2 REPLIES 2

bruce8979
Star I

It seems that the updates you're trying to install on your Asus ROG Ally, specifically the 2024-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 (KB5041585) and the Cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 (KB5042099), are causing issues. After attempting the installation, your system asks for a restart, but instead of completing the update, the screen goes black and doesn't recover, even when left overnight. When you manually shut down and restart the device, the updates roll back, and you see the error code 0x8007045b for both updates.

This issue might be related to driver conflicts, corrupted system files, or other underlying system problems. You can try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, disabling Fast Startup, and ensuring all your drivers, especially graphics and chipset drivers, are up to date. Additionally, running the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Service and Management Tool (DISM) might help fix any corrupted files that could be causing the update to fail. If these steps don't resolve the issue, performing a clean boot or checking for specific error logs in the Event Viewer may provide more insight into what's going wrong.

ilkeraktuna
Star I

Hi,

How do these start:

Fast Startup, System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Service and Management Tool (DISM)