Battery or AC: AC
Model: ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) & Mini
Frequency of occurrence: Every few m inutes
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
Firmware : Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_45898
========================
Detailed description:
Since 'upgrading' my firmware my wifi network drops connection to the internet for clients every few minutes. This doesn't happen for wired Lan connections, the wan connection is definitely up, and it is solved by disconnecting from the wifi and reconnection.
Anyone any advice on how to fix this problem? Downgrade the firmware to a better version maybe?
43 REPLIES 43

xt8suxs
Star II
Yston

I've been thinking of getting an AX XT8 for home as I'm sick of my current dodgy wifi and weak range extender that I run downstairs but keep coming across people talking about constant dropouts over wifi. Just to confirm with you guys if I do get one I should run it on firmware ver 42095, but this also doesn't work if it's a production model from 2022? Or should I just avoid it and go for a different brand mesh wifi solution?

View post
Based on the experience we have had so far for a number of months and the lack of an "official" response to this thread from the Asus side, If I go back in time I will definitely choose another brand. I would say don't waste your time on this product they don't take their customer seriously go for Orbi or other brands.

xt8suxs
Star II
GEEK_ASUS

Hi there,

Here we mainly discuss laptop related issues.

We have experienced technical support agents focusing on the router issues.

Please reach local contact center to have further support.

https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/questionform/?lang=en

Thank you

View post
@GEEK_ASUS How about you share a final resolution for this overdue issue to close the loop here?

Yston
Star I
xt8suxs

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/208439#Comment_208439

Based on the experience we have had so far for a number of months and the lack of an "official" response to this thread from the Asus side, If I go back in time I will definitely choose another brand. I would say don't waste your time on this product they don't take their customer seriously go for Orbi or other brands.

View post
Ok I'll be sure to look into some other alternatives then. Bit of a shame but thanks for giving me that advice. Hopefully ASUS gets serious about this issue and actually resolves it. Feel real bad for you guys who have already bought them and now have to deal with the issues.

kingpint
Star I
I've bought two refurbished devices about two weeks ago. For 235 € this looked like a steal to me.
Some days ago I realized that they cause some serious trouble in my home network.
My AVM Fritzbox never let me down, but these things do on regular basis. Issues look like this:
My VPN for home office is reconnecting very often during the day
IPTV (live) is not stable (but I have to admit, that I also had some issues before,
so that's probably not the fault of ASUS - I have do some more tests, since I've also bought an
ATV and switched my streaming apps from the Android TV to that Apple TV)
My Wifi devices are connected, but don't have internet access (multiple times a day)
It didn't take me long to find this topic here. So I downgraded the firmware and at least the last two issues are gone (the IPTV thing will need some more testing 🙂 ).
It also looks like the devices need a reboot on a regular basis (at least there is a build in option),
to hold on a stable status. Also something I did not ever have to do in years with my AVM hardware.
That thing was/is only rebooted for FW updates...
By the way the VPN is still not really stable, but it's reconnecting quite fast so that this isn't too much of an issue (yet) - but a let down of course.

I'm still able to get my money back within the next three days, if I send them back.
But... (yeah that's a bit crazy...) I'm thinking about holding on them.
What's holding me back from throwing them right into a post office:
I will move into a new house later this year and will have LAN or at least MoCA infrastructure
So I will not have to rely on that Wifi backhaul (what's maybe one of the main issues?)
Maybe my Fritzbox, which I still need as a modem, but can't be configured as "only modem", also causes some problems as it still remains as router and the ASUS is in AP mode. In my new home I will have some sort of simple fiber modem and the ASUS can be the "real" router then
There are only a few other options with that features and not costing four times the price
(for example the AVM Fritzbox 4060, which would cost me double the price, has a bit slower Wifi and dosn't support TimeMachine which I wanted to use with an external drive as a replacement for my Apple TimeCapsule)
So I would like to know, what you guys think...
Will we see these things work fine at some point?
Did anyone try the Merlin-FW? Maybe it's better/more stable?
Or should I get rid of these as long as it's still easily possible?

Seecoolguy
Star I
yourmomma

I have 6 of those cr@ppy nodes... I would better buy Netgear next time.

I can't post a link here because of some idiotic asus policy, but if you google "asus zenwifi ax firmware 42095 download", then go to softpedia, and it's there. The second (external) link actually goes to asus.

asus is a horrible company. Never again.

View post
My XT8 are from 2021 and I was able to downgraded to version: 3.0.0.4.386_42095-gcd938f7
down to: 3.0.0.4.386.46061
and this has stabilized any connected device to both the router and the Ai Mesh node