This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

Mijshe
Star II
Hamstray

Alright, I'm pretty much done here. Everyone reading this thread can probably tell by now that ASUS (and possibly every other laptop maker?) aren't planning on implementing the fTPM stutter fix for AMD-based laptops. I don't know why, either laziness, the fix simply being incompatible with laptops, something else? No clue.

Either way, thanks to my lawyer I quickly reached an agreement with ASUS to replace my terrible computer with a somewhat better intel-based laptop. Then ASUS messed up really bad and we had to quickly renegotiate, so I'm now sitting with one of the best intel-based laptops ASUS has on the market. A happy end for me.

However everyone else stuck with a Ryzen laptop that's stuttering is screwed.

I suggest anyone who can- go through the legal system if you want the issue dealt with. Those who aren't able have my sympathies.

View post
As of the moment maybe I'll wait someone that could provide a modded bios with option to disable ftpm.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Hamstray

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221890#Comment_221890

I think it'll be very funny if it turns out there is some security flaw in their chips they can't fix, even ignoring the claims from this document. They can claim they patched things out as much as they want, but it seems like all their fixes can do is fix things for some people (and yet some folks on desktops that did get the BIOS patches with the new AGESA still suffer from the microstutters).

Anyway, I'll leave you to your assumptions, as for me, considering both ASUS and AMD assured me there's just no way fTPM could cause the microstutters up until it hit the news (and ASUS even after, until finally it was acknowledged part way in this thread), I'm not gonna assume any claim of AMD shoddiness is false just on its face.

And against the law or not, interacting with the legal system is supremely annoying, it's not like you just call a business and go 'hey you're sued, awwww yeah'

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221911#Comment_221911

Don't worry your useless labs already tested my computer 3 times. Since they found nothing wrong in my computer when checking everything except the fTPM, I'm sure you'll agree that means the fTPM is the culprit.

View post
It would be absolutely unfunny for everyone if there would ever be an unfixable exploit.
They don't randomly claim its patched, it's tested and noted by the researcher who found the exploits to begin with. All patches are rested again to ensure a certain patch is indeed patching a vulnurability. As for beliefs, unlike you I do understand what is true and what isnt since I'm a system developer that has way more knowledge in the matter than you do. The entire security part is ridicolous and dumb, while the microstuttering is a very real problem which should be enough for companies to allow users to disable the fTPM module, trying to strenghten your point with bogus will only make your entire point invalid, as opposition can simply focus on the bogus part and throw our your entire complaint.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
mark jim

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/223868#Comment_223868

As of the moment maybe I'll wait someone that could provide a modded bios with option to disable ftpm.

View post
Unlike intel AEGESA is quite difficult to deal with, it's very unlikely youll get a modded BIOS ever.

Mijshe
Star II
img-20220820-114233.jpg
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/223883#Comment_223883

Unlike intel AEGESA is quite difficult to deal with, it's very unlikely youll get a modded BIOS ever.

View post
Yeah it seem i need hardware to patch the bios, sad part is that its uses newer chip with short legs and also worst part is that it was placed beneath the heat pipes.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
mark jim

img-20220820-114233.jpg

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/223886#Comment_223886

Yeah it seem i need hardware to patch the bios, sad part is that its uses newer chip with short legs and also worst part is that it was placed beneath the heat pipes.

View post
Thats the least of your problems. Getting actual aegesa on a modded bios working is hard.