This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

Falcon_ASUS
Hamstray

@Falcon_ASUS, it's been a while, hasn't it?

So you folks claimed that you won't allow disabling the fTPM because it might hurt the security of your poor consumers that don't know what's good for them, right?

Well, according to this Class Action Suit against HP over the exact same issue we've been complaining about here (https://www.classaction.org/blog/class-action-says-defect-in-hp-amd-computers-causes-severe-stutteri...), the fTPM actually harms the device's security!

So maybe allow us to disable the fTPM, if not because that's what we want and need to be able to enjoy using our laptops, then for our security.

View post
@Hamstray
We are still waiting for you to return to our repair center to confirm what you described.
As in the previous reply, there may be many reasons for the stutters, including ssd, ram, cpu...,etc. We will test according to your actual situation. 
We sincerely hope that you can go to our service center to have further inspection.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221887#Comment_221887

I skimmed through it and assumed it was a bogus post since claiming that they should allow you to disable fTPM because of security is just silly. Then I saw the paper and saw they were serious (lol)

Nah, stuff like that is well documented by people who find vulnurabilities and AMD who patches their drivers. There is no ground for the guys who made that paper.

Never said simple, but thats what you're supposed to do. Also has nothing to do with priveleges, it's against the law to advertise something and sell something different, no clue where you live but when it's legal in your country then you're screwed no matter what you do.

View post
I think it'll be very funny if it turns out there is some security flaw in their chips they can't fix, even ignoring the claims from this document. They can claim they patched things out as much as they want, but it seems like all their fixes can do is fix things for some people (and yet some folks on desktops that did get the BIOS patches with the new AGESA still suffer from the microstutters).
Anyway, I'll leave you to your assumptions, as for me, considering both ASUS and AMD assured me there's just no way fTPM could cause the microstutters up until it hit the news (and ASUS even after, until finally it was acknowledged part way in this thread), I'm not gonna assume any claim of AMD shoddiness is false just on its face.
And against the law or not, interacting with the legal system is supremely annoying, it's not like you just call a business and go 'hey you're sued, awwww yeah'
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221857#Comment_221857

@Hamstray

We are still waiting for you to return to our repair center to confirm what you described.

As in the previous reply, there may be many reasons for the stutters, including ssd, ram, cpu...,etc. We will test according to your actual situation. 

We sincerely hope that you can go to our service center to have further inspection.

View post
Don't worry your useless labs already tested my computer 3 times. Since they found nothing wrong in my computer when checking everything except the fTPM, I'm sure you'll agree that means the fTPM is the culprit.

gamervibe
Star II
I've been in contact with ASUS support regarding this issue for a couple of weeks now and they continue to deny that the problem is with FTPM to begin with. The most progress I made is that one of the agents told me the technical team said they can't just update the BIOS without updating each individual BIOS because the different models have varying BIOS.. which is like yeah.. no shit? They keep sending me RMA forms which I refuse to do because I know they will just send it back in worse shape or nothing will be fixed at all because the problem is FTPM which they continue to be unwilling to accept. The fact is, they have accepted it's a problem in their desktop motherboards and even released a fix for some which includes the AGESA microcode pushed out by AMD. Yet, they appear to be extremely lazy when it comes to their laptops for some reason.

Mijshe
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221857#Comment_221857

@Hamstray

View post
For god sake. It seems class action lawsuit will be your answer. We are suffering stuttering from day 1, since last year that we bought the device. And here you are claiming to RMA our devices. Oh common, use some common sense why a lot ryzen cpu - laptop user are complaining if only isolated problem. We are waiting for the fix. What are you waiting? For now we are only asking to disable ftpm until you guys fix the issue with stuttering. Don't reply or use another bs just to claim it maybe some other hardware related issue. We and you are not dumb enough to believe on that.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Alright, I'm pretty much done here. Everyone reading this thread can probably tell by now that ASUS (and possibly every other laptop maker?) aren't planning on implementing the fTPM stutter fix for AMD-based laptops. I don't know why, either laziness, the fix simply being incompatible with laptops, something else? No clue.
Either way, thanks to my lawyer I quickly reached an agreement with ASUS to replace my terrible computer with a somewhat better intel-based laptop. Then ASUS messed up really bad and we had to quickly renegotiate, so I'm now sitting with one of the best intel-based laptops ASUS has on the market. A happy end for me.
However everyone else stuck with a Ryzen laptop that's stuttering is screwed.
I suggest anyone who can- go through the legal system if you want the issue dealt with. Those who aren't able have my sympathies.