This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/215173#Comment_215173

@Hamstray

As in the previous reply, there may be many reasons for the game lag.

We sincerely hope that you can go to our service center to have further inspection.

I have sent you a message, you could provide your contact information via the PM, we will notify the engineer at your location for further confirmation.

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
As in the previous reply, it doesn't matter!
Even if somehow the issue isn't the fTPM (which DOES NOT MATTER, even if my issue isn't due to the fTPM, since the issue exists you're supposed to patch the BIOS to fix it for anyone who does suffer from it, even if I wasn't one of them), the issue is due to either a faulty component in the computer, or just bad design of the computer.
Every device I have connected to the computer either
was also used with my old laptop for long periods of time with no issues or,
was purchased after the issues started happening
Same for the programs/game I have installed, besides a few exception, each one of them was either
installed on my old laptop for long periods of time with no resulting issues or,
installed after the issues started happening
the only exceptions were programs ASUS pre-installed on this computer such as MyAsus and whatever other bloatware/services I hadn't bothered to get rid of.
So no matter what, the issue is supremely likely to be your fault, your responsibility. Your lab tests haven't found anything in 3 separate occasions, which only tells me that your tests are worthless, so there's 0 reason to send it again. Your refusal the acknowledge the factual existence of the AMD fTPM stutter issue in general, and refusal to send a fix for it and/or allow us to disable the fTPM? To me that's basically you admitting it likely is your fault, but you don't want to actually do anything about it.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Also "game lag"? When watching videos or listening to music?
Get real

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Your posts are just so confusing, @Falcon_ASUS. What even is the supposed endgame here? Let's imagine this hypothetical where I proved beyond any reasonable doubt (and also your unreasonable doubts) that the issue in my laptop is due to the known AMD fTPM stutter issue. What would you say then? "okay, you proved your issue is because of the fTPM, as such our engineering team will finally deign to release the fix (that they already put for our motherboards) for your laptops"
Like, if nobody proves that they specifically suffer from this then you just don't need to release a fix for us? What's your line of logic here?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Are any laptops getting the fTPM stutter fix? Like at all? It's strange that I only hear BIOS updates with the new AGESA being pushed for motherboards, not for laptops. What's the deal here? If for some reason a fix for laptops is being delayed, then it's even more important to get a BIOS patch that allows us to disable the fTPM asap.
I just don't understand at all why this is being handled this way. Not working on a fix, not allowing us the only possible ad-hoc solution. It's insane!

Falcon_ASUS
Hamstray

Your posts are just so confusing, @Falcon_ASUS. What even is the supposed endgame here? Let's imagine this hypothetical where I proved beyond any reasonable doubt (and also your unreasonable doubts) that the issue in my laptop is due to the known AMD fTPM stutter issue. What would you say then? "okay, you proved your issue is because of the fTPM, as such our engineering team will finally deign to release the fix (that they already put for our motherboards) for your laptops"

Like, if nobody proves that they specifically suffer from this then you just don't need to release a fix for us? What's your line of logic here?

View post
@Hamstray
The reason we hope you can come back and let us confirm is to know if the problem you are experiencing is caused by fTPM. If it is confirmed that the situation you are experiencing is indeed caused by fTPM, so that we can make improvements to your actual situation.
Therefore, we sincerely hope that you can go to our service center to have further inspection. I have sent you a message, you could provide your contact information via the PM, we will notify the engineer at your location for further confirmation.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.