This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual packets coming out of Zen Wifi Router

sleepydog
Star I

I have a Zen Wifi mesh router connecting to the internet through an opnsense router.  The static ip of the Asus Zen WiFi router is 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.  It is sending out packets to the internet with an destination ip of 192.168.1.116:7788.  These are being blocked correctly by the opnsense router.  Why would it be doing this?  This appears to happen, even when no devices are connected to the router other than the 3 mesh nodes, two other Zen WiFi devices and an RT-AX82U

4 REPLIES 4

jzchen
Zen Master I

Is that one of the RT-AX82U's IP addresses?  IP Loopback?

Yes, the RT-AX82U does indeed have an address of 192.168.1.116 - good catch.  This still seems to be wrong.  These packets should not be going out to the WAN.  Do you know if this is a known issue?  Should it be reported to Asus?  I believe I am running the latest firmware, it shows it updated on 10/20/2024.  Firmware verion 3.0.0.4.388

Hmmm.  I got the term incorrect I believe the term I was looking for was NAT Loopback.  But still it doesn't make sense to send private packets out as you note...

I honestly do not know if this is a known issue.  I remember there was an issue with ROG gaming routers unwantedly pinging game servers.  It's probably a good idea to report it to ASUS, although I do not know if you'll get a reasonable response...

3.0.0.4.388_25004 seems to be the latest firmware dated 10/09/2024.

Hi @sleepydog ,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the abnormal packet sending issue with your ZenWiFi router.

To better understand your issue and assist you in finding a solution, we would like to confirm the following:

• When did the issue start: When did this issue start to occur? Did it start after updating to the latest firmware?
  • Main router: Is your main router currently RT-AX82U? Does this issue also occur on the RT-AX82U?

To help us analyze your issue in more depth, we recommend that you use the system feedback feature to provide a detailed description of the problem to our engineering team.

System feedback steps:

1. Connect to the router: Connect your computer to the router and enter http://router.asus.com/ in your browser to log in to the router's management interface.
  2. Find the feedback function: In the management interface, find "System Management" or a similar option, and look for the "Feedback" function.
  3. Fill in the information: Please fill in your region, email address, ASUS service/case number (if any), problem type, and problem description as prompted.
  4. Agree to terms: Please read and agree to the privacy policy and related terms of service.
  5. Submit feedback: Click the "Submit" button to submit your feedback.

Also, please send us the following information in a private message:

• Product serial number
  • Feedback submission time
  • Email address you used to submit the feedback
  • Time when the issue first occurred
  • MAC address of your device

We will provide this information to our backend engineering team so they can analyze your issue more in-depth.

Thank you for your cooperation.