This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about XT9 wired backhaul

MikeyC
Star I

Hi.  I'm currently considering getting three XT9s.  Have a question about setting up wired backhaul.  

I have a 3 level house.  My entire network is wired for 2.5GB ethernet with 2.5GB switches on each level. I'll be putting an XT9 on each level.   I also have my own router (OPNsense).  I will be using the XT9s in Access Point mode.  My question is regarding which port on the XT9s should I use for wired backhaul.  Everything I've read online indicates the "main" XT9 needs to be wired in the "LAN" port (which is 1G), and the "secondary" ones can be wired on the "WAN" port (which is 2.5G).  Is this correct?  Can I not use the 2.5G "WAN" port on the "main" XT9?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

2 REPLIES 2

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @MikeyC ,

thank you for your inquiry.

You can use the WAN port on the main XT9 to connect to your network setup. 

The WAN port is typically designed to connect to your Internet Service Provider (ISP) device and supports higher transmission rates.

The main XT9 can utilize the 2.5G WAN port as a wired backhaul connection.

You can also take advantage of LAN aggregation to enjoy up to 2Gbps of wired speed. With LAN aggregation, you can combine two 1Gbps LAN ports, providing up to 2Gbps of wired speed for compatible NAS or other high-bandwidth network devices.

For more information, you can refer to the following user manual:

E22789_ZenWiFi_XT9_UM_WEB.pdf (asus.com)

Thank you.

MikeyC
Star I

So I decided to go with the ET12 instead of the XT9s.  And I can't seem to get wired backhaul working.  I've got the "main" ET12 in Access Point mode (because I own my own router).  Below is the current layout.  The "node" only connects via wireless backhaul; I would prefer wired backhaul.  I've tried connecting the "main" node to the WAN port and the LAN port, but it still tells me:

This feature is only available when all the node(s) are connected with an Ethernet cable.

* The following node(s) are not connected with an Ethernet cable currently.
ZenWiFi Pro ET12 (Home)

What am I doing wrong?

Asus.png