cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems getting AX6000 to connect to Win 11 desktop

Euroscpetic
Star II

Hi All

Have recently installed above router to improve WiFi throughout house, particularly son’s bedroom. Am using it in access point mode so that I can retain our digital phone, which needs to be connected to Sky SR203 router. (We have FTTP) 

The only glitch has been getting a Windows 11 desktop to connect to either the 2.4 or 5Ghz networks. It often disconnects and then struggles to reconnect. (“Can’t connect to network message”) We only have bog standard three bed semi, no think walls. The router is positioned at foot of stairs and bedroom at top.

I think it may be more to do with the WiFi adaptor in the pc. I replaced the old one with a TP link AC1200 and had issues getting that to work with the original set up. Had to keep resetting/uninstalling adapter etc.

The only other thing I can think off is Firewall/anti virus. I turned off during router installation but assume these should be good to run now?

Any advice/fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Can see that setting in the app now, so will toggle it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Most WiFi devices nowadays (at least here in the United States) are WiFi 6, which is AX/WPA3.  AC uses up to WPA2 only.  I find that setting the router to WPA2/WPA3 Personal is the most compatible with everything in my house.  There's only 1 device that stops working when I switch to WPA3 Personal, and that is an iPad Air 2.  Everything else works on WPA3 Personal.  WPA 3 is more secure, but to enable that one iPad I use WPA2/WPA3, because I still use it.

Yes sorry I didn't direct you to where it is.  Glad you found it, and which may I ask was it set/default?  (I guess WPA2 Personal so my suggestion may not help, but I am hopeful nonetheless).

Hi

Update. Tried again with WPA2. Only connected at about 15mbps then disconnected. Changed to WPA3 but even worse. Just cones up with “can’t connect to this network”. (Both 2.4 and 5)  Meanwhile my iPhone is connecting at 150mbps. 

I still can’t figure out if it’s tp link adapter or route, or both. Only other thing I can think of is pc was originally Win 10, but I upgraded it to Win 11. Don’t know if that’s somehow contributing to this problem. 

Thanks

Windows 11 requires fairly new hardware unless you tried a hack that is floating around the internet?

What is the BIOS version in the router?  (Have you updated it to the latest)?

Some electronics stores here where I live allow returns/exchanges.  The TP-Link you purchased is WiFi 5 which was released in 2014.  Currently WiFi 7 is the latest.

There should be a mixed setting "WPA2/WPA3 Personal"? I set my routers to that...