cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Docking station with PC and laptops

Angus131
Star I

Hello,

I have a desktop PC (currently with a geforce 1080 and an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard) and various laptops. (dual monitor)

Now I would like to set up my workstation so that I can actually either use my desktop PC or connect to a laptop.

As I have several Lenovo devices, I also wanted to get a Lenovo docking station. I can then dock onto this with any laptop.

But how can I do this with a PC?

Graphics cards don't normally have USB-C except for the Geforce 20XX and I'm not sure if that would work.

I also thought about whether it would work with an ASUS Thunderbolt EX 4 card in the desktop, where I could simply plug in the USB from the docking station.

I wanted to do without a KVM if possible and have as few devices as possible.

Does anyone have any experience?

2 REPLIES 2

michael298
Star I

Hello, 

To connect your desktop PC to a Lenovo docking station without a KVM switch, you can.

Install an ASUS Thunderbolt EX 4 card in your desktop.
Connect the Thunderbolt output from the card to the USB-C input on the docking station.
Ensure all devices are compatible and have the necessary drivers installed.
This setup should allow you to switch between your desktop and laptops using the docking station, with minimal devices and no KVM switch needed.

Best Regards

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @Angus131 

If needed, we recommend visiting the ROG official forums under the HARDWARE & BUILD ADVICE section for discussions on ROG GAMING and TUF series products.

Thank you.