This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple SSIDs mapped to different DHCP servers? XD5/XT8/XT9

eleroy
Star I

I understand it's possible with some mesh products (i'm looking at ZenWifi XD5 or XT8-9 in particular) to setup multiple SSIDs, for guest, children etc...
Sounds great, but is it possible to map an SSID to a specific LAN DHCP server to effectively have different subnets for each SSID? 

I assume that to do this (these devices being used as Access Points) I need to use multiple LAN ports from my router to provide separate LAN and DHCP for each SSID.

XD5 has 2 LAN ports, XT has 3. is it possible to map a SSID to a LAN port? Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @eleroy ,

based on your question, the ASUS ZenWifi XD5 and XT8-9 are Mesh Wi-Fi systems that support AiMesh technology, allowing you to extend your wireless coverage. With these products, you can set up multiple SSIDs and map them to specific LAN DHCP servers, creating different subnets for each SSID without the need for multiple LAN ports.

Here are the basic steps:

1. Log in to your ASUS router's management interface.
  2. In the management interface, look for "Wireless Settings" or "Wi-Fi Settings" option.
  3. In the Wi-Fi settings, you should find an option to "Create SSID" or "Add New SSID." Here, you can set up multiple SSIDs.
  4. Next, look for "LAN Settings" or "Network Settings" option.
  5. In the LAN settings, you can configure the DHCP server. You might find a "DHCP Server" option where you can set up the DHCP range.
  6. If you want specific SSIDs to use specific subnets, you can add static IP assignments in the DHCP server settings, mapping specific MAC addresses to specific IP addresses.

By following these steps, you can create different subnets for each SSID without the need for multiple LAN ports.

Thank you.

eleroy
Star I

mmm... is this a ChatGPT generated answer? It looks nice and confident, and looks reasonable up to 5, but at 6 it doesn't make much sense:

Setting up DHCP is one thing, but I want DHCP to come from my router, so I can effectively have a different DHCP server for each subnet. A single DHCP server will not give me multiple subnets. If the solution to mapping SSIDs to specific subnets is to set static IPs, then DHCP is useless. Static IPs also makes all this very cumbersome. 
It would have been more accurate to just say it's not possible... unless there is a way to use multiple LAN ports as i inquired, in which case please explain how I could use that path.

Hi @eleroy ,

based on your issue, for ASUS router, it currently do not have the function to let each SSID has its own independent DHCP server.

Currently for model: RT-AX86U Pro, GT-AX11000 Pro, it support Guest network pro.

The guest network pro is typically used to provide Internet access to visitors or guests without allowing them access to the main network or to other connected devices, also provides network content filter that is used to block or allow access to certain types of online content on a network.

[Wireless Router] What is guest network pro? How to use it? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Thank you for the support for the product.