This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Wifi handoff

markvidonic
Star I

Have a Zen WiFi ET8 with 2 nodes (basement and living room, both wired) Added an RT-AC68U as a node today in bonus room, also wired. Installation could not have been more simple. Issue is this - app sees all 3 nodes. However, looking at the device map, only the basement one has all the wireless devices connecting to wifi through that one and that was the whole point of adding the one in the bonus room, to handle the traffic of devices up there (wired is working, computer hard wire connected is close to 1GB speed.) I literally rebooted an iPad and stuck it next to the one in the bonus room, it’s still connecting to the basement on wifi.

Any ideas why and a setting in the app I’m missing maybe?

1 REPLY 1

jzchen
Rising Star II

IMG_1397.png

The router and nodes are probably too close.

You can try to bind the device to the nearest node.  There’s also an optimize option to try for each device.

It will take time from personal experience for the devices to distribute themselves to the nodes, so I’m afraid I have to say have some patience and they’ll spread themselves out eventually.  I do believe they have some availability logic built in.  For example after a node’s firmware is updated the node will go down with a reboot.  After the reboot I notice devices will not reconnect to the node right away but prefer other more “stable” nodes.  It’s not perfect, but it works out well enough for me to be satisfied.  I set up an RP-AX56 just to reach my EcoNet Rheem water heater, and when it connects to it dBm is -35, but for some reason most of the time it connects elsewhere even at -7x dBm….