cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up TUF-AX3000v2 as Access Point with Wireguard VPN

PeterJG
Star I

Hi

I am trying to set up my TUF-AX3000v2 as an Access Point with a dedicated IP address using Wireguard. The AX3000 is connected via a LAN cable to my main router (an ASUS RT-AC66U copnnected to my fibre modem).

The idea is, that any equipment connected to the AX3000 will be routed through the VPN, but the rest of my network will be unaffected.

If I connect the LAN cable from the RT-AC66U to the WAN socket of the AX3000, it is configured as a Router and I can sort of get it working with the Wireguard VPN set up using the VPN Fusion tab , but the connection is not reliable.

If I configure the AX3000 as an Access Point, the VPN option disappears from the router menu and there is no obvious way to set up the Wireguard VPN.

Has anyone else been able to accomplish this,? I'd be grateful for any suggestions or workarounds.

Many thanks

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @PeterJG ,

based on your issue, may I ask whether you want to set Access Point and Wireguard VPN on TUF-AX3000v2?

And you want to ensure that only traffic coming from specific IP address ranges goes through the VPN, while all other traffic accesses the internet directly?

It is suggest that you can set TUF-AX3000v2 as the main router, and the RT-AC66U set as Access Point mode.

On TUF-AX3000v2, you can set VPN Fusion. VPN fusion allows you to connect to multiple VPN server.

To configure multiple VPN connections on ASUS Router, you can refer to the following link.

[Wireless Router] How to configure multiple VPN connections on ASUS Router (VPN Fusion)? | Official ...

When you set up TUF-AX3000v2 as VPN Fusion, any device connected to RT-AC66U will need to go through TUF-AX3000v2 to access the internet. Therefore, you can manually configure specific IP addresses on TUF-AX3000v2, and you can also add WireGuard VPN files to TUF-AX3000v2.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @PeterJG ,

based on your issue, may I ask whether you want to set Access Point and Wireguard VPN on TUF-AX3000v2?

And you want to ensure that only traffic coming from specific IP address ranges goes through the VPN, while all other traffic accesses the internet directly?

It is suggest that you can set TUF-AX3000v2 as the main router, and the RT-AC66U set as Access Point mode.

On TUF-AX3000v2, you can set VPN Fusion. VPN fusion allows you to connect to multiple VPN server.

To configure multiple VPN connections on ASUS Router, you can refer to the following link.

[Wireless Router] How to configure multiple VPN connections on ASUS Router (VPN Fusion)? | Official ...

When you set up TUF-AX3000v2 as VPN Fusion, any device connected to RT-AC66U will need to go through TUF-AX3000v2 to access the internet. Therefore, you can manually configure specific IP addresses on TUF-AX3000v2, and you can also add WireGuard VPN files to TUF-AX3000v2.

Thank you.

Thanks very much for this solution. If I set up the Wireguard VPN in VPN Fusion to allow access only to the IP Address of the AC66U Access Point, will the devices attached wirelessly to the AP be granted access via that IP address, or do they need to be granted access in the AX3000 individually?

Hi @PeterJG ,

based on your issue, the device will need to be granted access in the AX3000.

In Access Point (AP) mode, the firewall and IP sharing NAT functions are disabled by default.

Therefore, the IP addresses of the devices connected to the back end (including the router itself) are assigned by the DHCP server of the upstream router or modem, rather than by the router in AP mode.

You can refer to the following link.

[Wireless Router] How to set up operation mode- Access Point(AP) mode? | Official Support | ASUS Glo...

Thank you.