This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect PC to router

For months my router and PC connected perfectly.  recently, not so much.  I've been told in Windows forum my problem is the router, so here goes.

The connect works a few days then quits for a few. Signal strength to the PC is good.

Went to CMD and typed in 'ipconfig /renew.'  The response is

"No operation can be performed on ethernet while it has it's media disconnected."    "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 1 while it has it's media disconnected."     "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has it's media disconnected."

"wireless LAN adapter > media disconnected."  IP address shows as 192.xxx.x.2 in ipconfig.  On the Asus router web page, that IP address is blank (unused?)

BONUS:  I have 8-10 devices that show as "Offline."  Some are powered down, but some aren't.  How do I get those that are powered up to show as 'online?'

3 REPLIES 3

jzchen
Zen Master I

It would help to know which ASUS router model please?

Unfortunately regarding the bonus question I've found those device connection lists not very reliable...

I knew to add that, but forgot.  AX3000.

Have 8 devices showing offline.  5 are powered off.  Power on puts them online. The other 3, you may be right.  The PC doesn't show up as online or offline.  I'd like to get the router to 'see' it and, maybe help troubleshoot.

ameelia
Star I
  1. PC not detected: Since your PC isn’t showing up as online or offline, and considering the errors you got when trying to refresh your network settings with the command to renew your IP address, it sounds like the connection between the PC and the router might be unstable. I suggest checking your wireless adapter drivers on the PC to ensure they are up to date, as outdated drivers can cause intermittent connection problems. You could also try assigning a static IP to the PC to see if that helps.

2. Devices showing offline: It’s common for routers to have quirks with detecting device statuses, especially if devices go into sleep mode or if the router doesn’t refresh the device list frequently. If those devices are powered on but still show as offline, try checking if they are set to use dynamic IPs. Setting a static IP for each device might help keep them visible on the network.

3. AX3000 settings: On the AX3000, try toggling the "Smart Connect" feature (if enabled). It automatically chooses the best band for each device, but sometimes it causes connectivity issues. Disabling it temporarily might help stabilize the connections.