This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus XT12 Wi-Fi performance and device to node connection weirdness.

jbode6
Star I

Hey everyone,

Got my XT12's (got the 2 pack) setup a few weeks ago, and when they work, they work well.  The thing i've noticed is the Wi-fi performance is flaky at times, it'll have good download speeds, then all of the sudden it dips down to single digit Mbps, and even stops downloading altogether, just to ramp back up a few minutes later and it constantly repeats itself.  Took me almost an hour to download 3.5 GB, because of this fluctuating speed and I have a Gig upload/download symmetrical speeds from my ISP.

I've also noticed that devices that are near my 2nd node will fluctuate from connecting to that one and the primary node, this results in worse performance and less Wi-fi signal to the device.  It sometimes will be good for most of the day, but then I'll look again later on, and it'll be connected to the primary node for whatever reason.

I'm on the most recent stable firmware back in December 3.0.0.4.388.22127.  I see there have been 2 beta firmware's in December and March, not sure if those could help with these strange issues, but I'd like to report these issues now to try and see if a firmware update could help alleviate these issues. 

I've sent feedback twice when it'd be happening, haven't heard anything back from support though.

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

Hey there!

E8:A7:2F:07:5D:03
00:D8:61:B3:E3:B1
B8:31:B5:72:8B:1F
6C:71:D9:F3:20:4A
4C:3B:DF:3A:D5:77
E4:2A:AC:4E:8E:13
A8:8C:3E:AE:DE:AD
86:74:C1:43:39:F3

2. Yes, I have, even tried a different ethernet cord.

3. Yes, anything that can download something seems to be having strange performance in regard to download speeds.

4. Only wired device is my computer, nothing else is wired.

5. See above for the MAC addresses.

6. No it's not, I had Eero's, tp link and even amplifi devices before with the same ISP and plan, and they would constantly get 900+ Mbps with the download and upload speeds and wouldn't have the whole download just stop working for a few minutes just to ramp back up and then throttle back down to single digit Mbps speeds, and then eventually stop downloading altogether. 

It happens at random time intervals, any time something is needing to be downloaded on any of these devices, it'll either work really well or it'll start doing the weird download throttling where it will eventually stop downloading altogether for a few minutes.

Hi @jbode6 ,

about the wireless device that facing thie download speed problem, please provide whether these devices are connected to the CAP or RE, and which band they are connected to.

As for the device that will switch the connection vetween two nodes, please provide the specific time when the issue occurred, the exact abnormality observed in the weakening of the device signal, and the circumstances under which this condition was observed.

Also, may I ask have you try to hard reset the router then confirm whether the issue occur when the router is at default?

Thank you.

Hello,

For the wireless devices that are facing the weird download speed, it doesn't matter if they're connected to the CAP or RE, and they're all on either 5, 5-1 or 5-2 bands.  Doesn't seem to matter which node or which band they're on, they're all stop and go when it comes to downloading.

For the devices switching between two nodes, I honestly haven't seen it happen very often since I made this forum post, so maybe it self-corrected in that aspect.

I tried hard resetting the router before I ever made this post and it didn't seem to work, I can try again if you need.

Thanks!

Hello, please look at MAC address 4C:3B:DF:3A:D5:77 within the past few minutes.  It was downloading something and it's doing the whole "stop and go" with the speeds.  It started out strong and then dipped down to nothing.  I've sent the logs again.

Thanks!

Hi @jbode6 ,

thanks for providing the information and the details.

We have forward your situation to relevant department.

Thank you.