This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zen 3 motherboard compatibility

okarimnvo
Star I

im a firt tie builder. i have my cpu already (ryzen 5 5600x). If i buy any new asus or msi motherboard of the right chipset, will they be compatible with my cpu out of the box without the need of a bios update?

2 REPLIES 2

malaika121
Star II

Hi @okarimnvo 

Most new ASUS and MSI motherboards with the right chipset will be compatible with the Ryzen 5 5600X out of the box without the need for a BIOS update.

However, it is always a good idea to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for a list of supported CPUs and BIOS versions before you buy. This is especially important if you are buying an older motherboard or a motherboard from a less well-known brand.

Here are some popular ASUS and MSI motherboards that are compatible with the Ryzen 5 5600X out of the box:

• ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus Wi-Fi
  • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX WIFI
  • MSI MPG X570S Edge MAX WIFI
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
  • MSI Meg X570 Ace

If you are buying an older motherboard or a motherboard from a less well-known brand, you may need to update the BIOS before you can use it with the Ryzen 5 5600X. This is usually a simple process that can be done using a USB drive.

Here are some tips for updating the BIOS on your motherboard:

• Download the latest BIOS file from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
  • Extract the BIOS file to a USB drive.
  • Boot your computer into the BIOS.
  • Find the BIOS update option and select the BIOS file from the USB drive.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS.
  • Once the BIOS has been updated, your motherboard will be compatible with the Ryzen 5 5600X.

Please note: It is important to never interrupt a BIOS update. If you do, you may damage your motherboard.

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @okarimnvo 

You can verify the compatibility of this CPU model with the motherboard's BIOS versions through the QVL for the motherboard model, and the subsequent BIOS versions should provide compatibility.
For information regarding the QVL, please find relevant details in the [Motherboard] How to query (CPU/memory) QVL List? if needed.

Thank you.