This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading AM4 CPU, BIOS Question

koltyn
Star I

Hi, im currently going from the Ryzen 5 2600 to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, and my motherboard is the ASUS B450-I ROG strix. I looked on the website for the board, and it says the 5800X3D chip is supported since BIOS version 4801. Im currently very out of date on BIOS version 4502.

My question is, do I have to go from BIOS version 4502 to 4801, then to latest v5102, or can I just install the latest bios v5102 and be okay? Do I explicitly need version 4801 to have the 5800X3D be supported, or can I simply install the latest BIOS v5102 and be fine?

Also, I know its not particular to ROG but would you all recommend a clean windows install from a USB drive if im upgrading CPUs?

I greatly appreciate any feedback on this

2 REPLIES 2

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @koltyn ,

based on your issue, since your motherboard's website mentions that the Ryzen 7 5800X is supported from BIOS version 4801, it's advisable to update your BIOS to this version first.

This will provide the necessary support and compatibility for the new CPU.

After updating to BIOS version 4801, you can then proceed to update to the latest BIOS version available (v5102 in your case).

The latest BIOS version typically includes various improvements, bug fixes, and performance optimizations.

It's important to update the BIOS in incremental steps as jumping directly to the latest version from an outdated version might cause compatibility issues or potential instability.

Regarding the clean Windows install, a clean install ensures that your operating system and drivers are properly configured for the new CPU, avoiding any potential conflicts or performance issues.

Thank you.

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.