This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTX 4070 power consumption on idle at 100%

Kazik
Star II

My newly bought RTX 4070 (DUAL-RTX4070-O12G) draws 200W when idling at desktop. Nothing running in background, newest drivers, updated Windows 10. Card seems to change power consumption when a 3D application is started. After changing power options in W10 to energy saving - power consumption dropped to 180W at idle.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have resolved the issue. (TLDR - it was a Trojan in MS NET Framework folder)

As I mentioned before - funnily enough - power drop was simultaneous  with opening Task Manager. I found it particularly suspicious, as it implied malicious behaviour to me. I wanted to check which processes use my GPU, and to do that I used CMD.exe and run ,,nvidia-smi" command. This gave me 8 processes when the TM was open, and 9 when it was not. The odd one was ,,AddInProcess.exe" which was located in MS Net Framework folder. I tried to remove it but it wouldn't  allow me to. After using several AV programs and MS built in AV suite I located the original folder where the trojan resided and kept coming back from. I deleted it from safe mode and from that moment everything runs as it should.

If any of other users run into this problem I think this might be a semi-universal solution.

Best regards

Kazik

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @Kazik ,

based on your issue, may I ask have you make sure that graphic driver is at the latest version?

It is suggest that you can check the Nvidia Control Panel, may I ask what is the current power management mode?

Have you also check the BIOS/UEFI setting? 

You can try to load defalt and confirm whether the issue still occur?

Thank you.

Hello Aureliannn

As fir the driver. First I had installed the newest available from asus product support page. After that I have installed even newer version from NVIDIA. Checked for possible updates with Driver Booster PRO. Regardless of which driver was run the card behaved the same.

In NCP power management is set to normal. In Windows Power Options I have checked both energy saving (in this mode idle draw dropped by 10% to 180W) and balanced mode. No change.

I also tried loading safe defaults in UEFI (btw. it is AORUS X570 ULTRA). unfortunately that didn't change anything. I may still try to force all power saving options and as soon as I try that I will post.

I made a funny observationnwhich may help to diagnose the issue. Whenever I open the Task Manager in Windows, power consumption immediately drops to ~15W. After colsing TM window, after about a minute or so, it gets back at 200W.

Hope that helps.

I have resolved the issue. (TLDR - it was a Trojan in MS NET Framework folder)

As I mentioned before - funnily enough - power drop was simultaneous  with opening Task Manager. I found it particularly suspicious, as it implied malicious behaviour to me. I wanted to check which processes use my GPU, and to do that I used CMD.exe and run ,,nvidia-smi" command. This gave me 8 processes when the TM was open, and 9 when it was not. The odd one was ,,AddInProcess.exe" which was located in MS Net Framework folder. I tried to remove it but it wouldn't  allow me to. After using several AV programs and MS built in AV suite I located the original folder where the trojan resided and kept coming back from. I deleted it from safe mode and from that moment everything runs as it should.

If any of other users run into this problem I think this might be a semi-universal solution.

Best regards

Kazik

sumitipb
Star I

hii team my RTX 4070 getting error of drivers and am not able to extract any file or can not fetch any files. So pls solve this error to help me out from this situation. Your valuable response are awaited, am not able fetch institute of professional banking website.