This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF A15 506IU Screen Flickering

compgeek89
Star II
System: ASUS TUF A15 FA506IU (Ryzen 7 4800H, GTX 1660TI, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Battery or AC: Both
Model: FA506IU
Frequency of occurrence: Varies, as little as every few seconds
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:I'm getting screen flickering on my new TUF A15 (received 6/17 from Amazon.com -- sold by Amazon). I have done many hours worth of troubleshooting and resets now, including:
A few factory resets
Using the original drivers, updating to the latest ASUS nVidia & AMD drivers, and updating to the latest game-ready NV drivers
Whenever I would reset the OS, it seemed to go away indicating to me it was a software issue. My first thought was drivers, but even when I did not update the drivers from factory it would still pop up, but I believe I have identified the issue.

Current config:
GeForce driver: 442.92 (Studio Driver), updated via GeForce Experience
AMD chipset driver: 26.20.14048.2 (Obtained from ASUS, used AMD cleanup utility in safe mode as prescribed)
All other drivers and BIOS are latest from ASUS
If I install Windows Sandbox (via Windows Features control panel), I get screen flickering. If I disable Windows Sandbox, I get no flickering. I also read that someone had the same issue with the Windows Hyper-V feature. It seems like there is some kind of conflict between the software/drivers on the A15 and Windows virtualization features. I've turned the feature on and off multiple times just to confirm, and invariable I get screen flickering when it is on.
is anyone else able to confirm this issue with virtualization features on the A15? If this is universally an issue, it's definitely something that needs a fix, at least for my usage.
28 REPLIES 28

compgeek89
Star II
Have you tried the new BIOS that came out yesterday? I have not experienced it since installing the 308 BIOS today. Inconclusive, but testing is good thus far.

compgeek89

Have you tried the new BIOS that came out yesterday? I have not experienced it since installing the 308 BIOS today. Inconclusive, but testing is good thus far.

View post
I have installed BIOS 308 successfully through EZ Flash and I can confirm the problem still occurs. The screen flickers heavily and sometimes goes totally white with some fine black lines irrespective of whether it is charging or not (if that matters). I have also installed "AMD Graphics, Chipset Driver" available in MyASUS along with latest NVidia drivers but that did not help a bit. My laptop came 2 days back and this issue has already occurred 4 times (twice after the said BIOS update). I have several videos of the problem too. Please help.

compgeek89
Star II
srbhkulkarni13

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/91606#Comment_91606

I have installed BIOS 308 successfully through EZ Flash and I can confirm the problem still occurs. The screen flickers heavily and sometimes goes totally white with some fine black lines irrespective of whether it is charging or not (if that matters). I have also installed "AMD Graphics, Chipset Driver" available in MyASUS along with latest NVidia drivers but that did not help a bit. My laptop came 2 days back and this issue has already occurred 4 times (twice after the said BIOS update). I have several videos of the problem too. Please help.

View post
Does it occur straight out of the box? Like from a reset, or is it after setting up other software/during certain activities?

compgeek89

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/91698#Comment_91698

Does it occur straight out of the box? Like from a reset, or is it after setting up other software/during certain activities?

View post
First occurrence was after installing chromium based Edge, VS Code (with few plugins) and Git versioning only. Absolutely no additional softwares were installed. I freaked out but continued the emergency work I had with VS Code. After my work was done, I completely formatted the laptop and it was seemingly gone. Next day booting up, it occurred for 10-20 seconds only as opposed to 1-2 mins each and every instance. Note that this was a clean Windows. Then I searched for this issue and saw BIOS 308 might solve it. So I downloaded it from MyASUS app and installed it. The issue seemingly gone, I installed Opera GX, Android Studio and all its components (sdk, emulator). I also installed few games from Steam and Epic Launcher along with Valorant. The issue occured again when none of the apps were running. Then I installed AMD Graphic Drivers grin MyASUS and NVIDIA drivers from GeForce Experience. Problem occurred again while browsing on Opera GX. Then I replied to this thread. Next 3rd day I installed (25th June) Windows 2002 update, restarted, then installed Firmware update from Asus through Windows Update. Problem did not occur for a day and after 2 days (27th June 2020) I updated the NVIDIA drivers through Experience. The problem occured once again just before the lunch.
This is the current timeline of the events and I have most of the video recordings except that clean install one which occurred for 10-20 seconds. And to add to all this, I bought the laptop in India.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello @srbhkulkarni13 ,
May I have your complete model name and a video of the issue?
Thank you very much.