This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today i took some shots at night and i confirm. The result is a disaster now in Android 10

doublem101
Star III
I've been reading all the posts about the bad photo quality on Android 10 but honestly i didn't had the chance to test it in detail before.
However today, i had a spare time and it only took a couple minutes to see what everyone are talking about.
I already had taken some indoor photos and i noticed the high noise in darker areas but i went outside and i couldn't believe on what i was looking at. Slightly blured photos (like a shaken photo) and no detail at all, it looked like a watercolour painting. On some photos, darker areas were pinkish, something that i complained before in Pro mode on long exposures but never noticed it in any other mode.
However, i don't know if it's related or not but the few Gcam versions that works, aren't much better neither. Still a little better than stock app but really really worse than before. I'm not sure if they aren't already optimized or somehow related with the stock app bad quality. I don't know how Gcam works but what if the main issue isn't the stock APP itself but something behind it that makes Gcam works so bad also?
Sorry Asus, but i can't accept this quality from €500 device. One of the things that made me buy this phone was his night photo quality and now it takes worse photos than my old device?
I know you are looking at the problem already but i become frightened when i read that the differences you found aren't considerable. They are. If you didn't tested yet at night, outside, please do it. Theres were i found the major differences, not indoor.
I don't a have photo took in Android 9 under the same circunstances in this same places but please look at this photo. This isn't acceptable at all.
QUJHAN31QHLI.jpg

70 REPLIES 70

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
isaac.brody

5U1UNZYITKD5.png

@CH_ASUS I did a 100 percent crop on these images you posted. 189 is on the left, Q on the right.

Compared side by side 189 is of course flatter, but it also retains a lot more detail in the shadows.

And In 189 you can also see detail in the bark of the tree and on the snow. Overall it looks like it's resolving fine detail and sharpness much better than Q.

The Q version has much higher contrast at the expense of dynamic range and details in the shadows. That lost detail and the noise reduction resolves a softer image, especially on the tree bark and the snow.

View post
Yes, HDR++ has changed.
But you can also see the sky in the background on Q - it preserved that better.
HDR++ generally focuses on preserving highlights more than shadows. And even more so in Q.

As far as I know, we've said from the start that Auto, NightMode havent changed (as all of this started with low light).
HDR++ has been changed. If you used HDR++ in the dark, results may differ now.

Auto has not changed. Auto mode does not use HDR++ in any circumstance (from what I am aware).
It will use the normal HDR if deemed necessary. As such HDR++ is strictly "opt-in" by the user.

isaac_brody
Star II
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33735#Comment_33735

Yes, HDR++ has changed.

But you can also see the sky in the background on Q - it preserved that better.

HDR++ generally focuses on preserving highlights more than shadows. And even more so in Q.

As far as I know, we've said from the start that Auto, NightMode havent changed (as all of this started with low light).

HDR++ has been changed. If you used HDR++ in the dark, results may differ now.

Auto has not changed. Auto mode does not use HDR++ in any circumstance (from what I am aware).

It will use the normal HDR if deemed necessary. As such HDR++ is strictly "opt-in" by the user.

View post
Are you guys fine tuning the HDR++ to improve detail in the shadows or dial back the contrast? While the highlight retention is good, you lose that advantage and dynamic range when the detail in the shadows is lost. And I don't mean for shooting at night. I use HDR++ during daytime and the loss of details in the darker areas of the frame has a negative impact on wide shots and anything with darker details.
Please let us know if this is on the radar to improve.

doublem101
Star III
I know this is a sensitive topic mas but since Asus sent some devices to developers i think theres no big issue talking about it.
Meanwhile what't the current situation about the possible update to fix some issues with 3rd part apps, like gcam?
Can we expect any update soon?

off2fly115
Rising Star II
*3RD PARTY CAMERA OVEREXPOSURE ISSUE WITH PROOF*
Hi all.
I was recently filming myself on Snapchat for a tiktok *cause that's what all American teens do these days* and since I noticed that the overexposure was absolutely crazy like it always is after Android 10 update, I thought it would be a great opportunity to show you guys what I mean.
And for those who may not believe I filmed the video with a Zenfone 6, I took a picture of me holding it in a mirror so you can see that I indeed do have a Zenfone 6.
Please let me know what you guys think and Asus, please fix this issue asap. People are constantly making fun of my cameras exposure and it kinda sucks because the camera was one of the main reasons I bought this phone ? - Best regards, Branden.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II

isaac.brody

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33973#Comment_33973

Are you guys fine tuning the HDR++ to improve detail in the shadows or dial back the contrast? While the highlight retention is good, you lose that advantage and dynamic range when the detail in the shadows is lost. And I don't mean for shooting at night. I use HDR++ during daytime and the loss of details in the darker areas of the frame has a negative impact on wide shots and anything with darker details.

Please let us know if this is on the radar to improve.

View post
We're having some discussion about it.. but as with anything camera - change one place - people complain (not the same people).
Change it backwards - people complain (the first batch of people).
So as such.. it is kind-of difficult to make everyone happy - I think that's the most accurate thing I can say on this matter.

doublem101

I know this is a sensitive topic mas but since Asus sent some devices to developers i think theres no big issue talking about it.

Meanwhile what't the current situation about the possible update to fix some issues with 3rd part apps, like gcam?

Can we expect any update soon?

View post
We havent intentionally broken any GCAM mod functionality from what I am aware. It could be because of so many different reasons which are also outside of our control - it's not like our camera team knows exactly what needs to be done to get everything working on any particular gcam mod - nor should it be their priority to figure it out (which I hope you all understand as to why that is).

That being said, let's see if any changes made to the next update helps this topic.