This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The screen becomes darker whenever the fps drops to 60

argaman48
Star II
The colors on the screen very visibly become darker about a second after going in or out of anything when using the automatic refresh rate option, it could be when I'm going between apps, opening a new page or even when pulling down the notification panel, it happens all the time.
Video example: https://imgur.com/a/zVJPYyL
Now I think I found the source of the issue.
Enabling the "low brightness DC dimming" option in the display setting, which is only allowed when the phone is on 60fps, solves the issue completely by simply always being darker, but then again, you must force it to be on 60 fps.
So I tried going back to the automatic refresh rate, but now I monitored the fps, and the issue became very clear.
Whenever the fps drops to 60 the DC dimming is probably enabled automatically, even when disabled manually on the settings, causing the screen to become darker whenever it switches between 60 and other refresh rates, since this feature is not supported on higher ones.
Video example: https://imgur.com/a/JK9tAtR
Look at the color of the keyboard and notification panel when the fps switches from 90 to 60 and vice versa, note that it is more visible than it looks on the video
23 REPLIES 23

clavo
Star III
I realize that Mattias is not a dev. My answer was absolutely not directed against him, just to sort that out.
But doesn't change the fact that the devs either didn't understand the problem or don't care. I would accept the statement that they are not allowed to, even if I wouldn't be happy with it. But to say it's a "normal reaction", even though it could be fixed, is unacceptable.
Edit: a simple alternative would be an auto mode which switches between 120Hz and 60Hz instead of 90Hz and 60Hz

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
clavo

I realize that Mattias is not a dev. My answer was absolutely not directed against him, just to sort that out.

But doesn't change the fact that the devs either didn't understand the problem or don't care. I would accept the statement that they are not allowed to, even if I wouldn't be happy with it. But to say it's a "normal reaction", even though it could be fixed, is unacceptable.

Edit: a simple alternative would be an auto mode which switches between 120Hz and 60Hz instead of 90Hz and 60Hz

View post
That did exist on the Rog5 and the outrage is quite massive. People were complaining that the 90hz mode was gone.
As for the statement, I simply mentioned it since many believe that the mods are somehow the devs. As for normal reaction, I'm not entirely sure what you mean with that. As stated tho, whatever the case may be the likelyhood of recalibrated 90hz mode is extremely slim.

clavo
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226912#Comment_226912

That did exist on the Rog5 and the outrage is quite massive. People were complaining that the 90hz mode was gone.

As for the statement, I simply mentioned it since many believe that the mods are somehow the devs. As for normal reaction, I'm not entirely sure what you mean with that. As stated tho, whatever the case may be the likelyhood of recalibrated 90hz mode is extremely slim.

View post
Just cited the devs' response:
"Because the screen flashes rate supported by each APP and interface is different, this is a normal reaction that the naked eye may see when switching"
I can also well do without the 90Hz mode. However, I would like to have a properly functioning auto mode. As mentioned before, switching between 120Hz and 60Hz would fix the problem.

clavo
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226912#Comment_226912

View post
"Because the screen flashes rate supported by each APP and interface is different, this is a normal reaction that the naked eye may see when switching"
I can also well do without the 90Hz mode. However, I would like to have a properly functioning auto mode. As mentioned before, switching between 120Hz and 60Hz would fix the problem.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
clavo

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/226927#Comment_226927

View post
Ahh sorry, also it isnt the devs response but the people in between the devs and the commuity team. Maybe there is a dev that will pick it up like I did on the Rog3.