This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I add widgets on third-party launchers with Android 12

NTICompass
Star II
I just got a Zenfone 8, and I updated it to Android 12 (UL-I006D-ASUS-31.1010.0410.43-1.1.25-2202-user.zip). I installed Nova Launcher, and I cannot widgets.
Video: drive.google.com/file/d/10N5oYJ3oG_wWFjtLtrKT5C0awkV49P75/view?usp=sharing
Looking at Nova's logs, I see:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to read from field 'com.android.server.appwidget.AppWidgetServiceImpl$ProviderId com.android.server.appwidget.AppWidgetServiceImpl$Provider.id' on a null object reference
So, it seems ASUS's Android 12 build is missing something from its settings app.
Does anyone else have an issue adding widgets? I tried Lawnchair and have the same issue. ASUS Launcher obviously works fine.
I should probably note that my phone is rooted, but that shouldn't matter, right?
17 REPLIES 17

asrulz
Star II
andreescul

Works fine in my case. Nova also.

View post
Under Android 12, can you add new widget into your phone Nova launcher?

anthop
Star I
I am having the same issue and see the same NullPointerException. I'm running the latest ASUS-provided build of Android 12. I've tried this with multiple third-party launchers and have the same problem, so this is not restricted to Nova. Phone is not rooted.
Contacted Nova's support, and they suggested that this is an issue with ASUS' Android 12 builds.

ibo13700
Star II
Hello I used to use Nova too and at first launch when you want to put a widget on the screen there is a prompt asking to allow Nova to set widgets. Maybe you accidentally rejected it? If that's the case maybe you should wipe Nova's datas and start from scratch?

NTICompass
Star II
ibo13700

Hello I used to use Nova too and at first launch when you want to put a widget on the screen there is a prompt asking to allow Nova to set widgets. Maybe you accidentally rejected it? If that's the case maybe you should wipe Nova's datas and start from scratch?

View post
I never saw the prompt. It just freezes/crashes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nova, but that didn't help.
I'm not totally sure what's going on.

pozeromon
Star I
Same problem here, I have a ROG Phone 5s Pro and got exactly same issue, just updated on April 26th and the error keeps there.