Can not charge Zenbook 14 UX425J - Maybe Power Delivery FW upgrade?

PJDPJD Level 1
edited June 11 in ZenBook
  1. System: Bios 304, GOP 14.0.1033, EC Version 3.04
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: UX425J i5-1035G1
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Always (after Update?)
  5. Reset OS: No
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

Hello!

I have set up a new ASUS Zenbook 14 UX425J. After all Updates from Windows Update I installed also all Updates from the Driver Site. Now I can't charge it anymore and both USB-C ports a dead - is it possible that the Power Delivery FW upgrade V1.0 is not compatible? Why would it install then?

In Device-Manager the USDB-Device USM-USCI ACPI-Device is not functioning and the charing LED is of. I tested the charger on another device (it's working) and another charger without luck.

I reseted the bios to defaults and did a reset by pressing the button more than 50 sek.

PS: I have just 35% battery left. This device can only be charged via USB-C

Comments

• Hello PJD,

May I know where did this Power Delivery FW upgrade V1.0 came from? Windows update?

If the adapter is not working anymore, please kindly bring both the adapter and the laptop to our service center for further examination.

Both software and hardware need to be checked.

Thank you.

• PJDPJD Level 1

Hi Blake!

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay - I tried to find this (wrong) update. If you search the UX425J via www dot asus dot com/de/support/Download-Center/ you will find nothing - you have to type UX425 and you will get 2 models - since it as a new laptop I was sure it would be an 11 Gen, but it is 10 Gen!

www dot asus dot com/de/Laptops/For-Home/ZenBook/ZenBook-14-UX425-11th-Gen-Intel/HelpDesk_BIOS/?model2Name=ZenBook-14-UX425-11th-Gen-Intel

This is what I downloaded and installed - maybe this update should check if it is the right model? It is also possible that the broken USB-C port has a differend cause...

Firmware

Version V1.0

2021/01/14 2.14 MBytes

Power Delivery FW upgrade

Power Delivery Performance optimization. !!!

Caution: The process might take some time to finish. Please do not interrupt or restart system during the process!!!

PS: Wanted to post yeterday, but always got "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links."

• Hello PJD,

Yes, UX425JA is 10th Gen CPU, UX425EA is 11th Gen, sorry for the confusion.

If the driver is not on the list for your model, please kindly don't install it.

Your feedback for the driver checking has been reported.

Thank you.

• Hi Blake, I am facing the same issue. My Zenbook UX425EA got updated with Power Delivery FW upgrade and now my USB C-ports aren't working. The laptop is just 2 months old. Could you please tell me how to solve this problem?

• Hello pjoseph,

May you help to specify if the type C port can be used for charging but not detecting other device?

Thank you.

• I'm facing the exact same problem. After upgrading the PD firmware, the battery won't charge for 1%, it gets stuck at 40%. The customer service gave me instructions to follow, but the problem won't solve.

• Hello anders,

Which model do you have? UX425EA?

And even if you switch mode in MyASUS, the charging % does not change?

Thank you.

• andersfridenandersfriden Level 1
    edited April 5

hi Blake

the FW updated by itself today (although I unticked the auto update checkbox in the Myasus app). I don't know how, but it seems the charging is now functional. I will keep an eye on it and report back if it doesn't work in the future.

• Hello Anders,

Thank you for the update.

• Hi Blake,

I have the same problem as described above. I have a new ASUS Zenbook 14 UX425J, it work fine till last week. It indicates that the battery is 100% and is charging however the laptop does not work with the adapter connected.

When I see which battery drivers I have I only have the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, could the problem be that I miss the AC Adapter driver?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Teun

• Hello Teun,

Was there any update before the issue occurred? like BIOS or you also install that Power Delivery FW?

You may try to long press the power button for 40 seconds to reboot the device.

Let me know the result.

Thank you.

• Hey Blake,

Thanks for the quick answer. I did not install anything myself and check/updated all the drivers/Bios etc in the previous days, also tried the 40sec reboot it does not seems to do anything. Yesterday I reinstalled windows, which if I installed (power delivery FW) something wrong should redo this, right? However it did not work.

Any other advise?

Thanks

• No need to install AC adapter driver to install.

Windows will manage automatically to charge battery

• Hello Teun,

If you did install the wrong FW, it can not be redo. It's not a simple software.

Please enter BIOS, and load default setting again.

Hope it would work this time for you.

Thank you.

• Hey Blake,

Thanks for your answer. I can not post the link but I went into the bios and did optimize settings without any result.

Any other options? maybe a production error or something and the battery just died or got disconnected.

Thanks

Teun 

• Hello Teun,

In this case, I would suggest you to send the device and the adapter to our service center for further checking.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

• hi Blake

I don't know if it is related, but sometimes the battery will go completely empty during the night, and the computer won't turn off unless I plug in the charger. This happened last night: the charging is set up on Maximum lifespan mode (max 60%). I turned it off before going to sleep. When I used it this morning, battery was completely empty.

• Hi Anders,

Did you turn off the laptop or put the laptop to sleep/hibernate during the night?

Thank you.

• hi Blake

I turn it off before going to bed (Start menu > Turn off), never let it go to sleep or hibernate.

• Hi Anders,

Please enter your power options, uncheck "Turn on fast startup"

and see if it helps?

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.