This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNLOCKING IN POCKET

pjtl
Star II

I know this has been posted about before but I'm so frustrated because I've tried everything and this phone is still unlocking in my pocket and causing chaos! Sending private pictures to my family group chat is not ideal. I've enabled the button press feature and half the time it works, half the time it still unlocks with only the fingerprint.. either way it still unlocks in the pocket. I could disable fingerprint altogether but it's one of the reasons I bought this phone. My firmware is up to date, can Asus please sort this out before this phone causes me any more embarrassment and frustration.

41 REPLIES 41

mercury0
Star II

I also have been having this problem for months even with latest firmware installed. I will not be getting another asus and will not recommend others do so. But I would really appreciate Asus resolving this. 

After many tries to solve it, i think issue is in poor quality of proximity sensor. It has only 0 or 10cm result l, nothing between, and even that is not working correctly because 10cm for the sensor is like 2 or 3cm in fact. Additionally when i have it just near to ear during the call, it loose perception and sometimes gives results that it is far away from ear and turn on the screen. When i find time i plan to use warranty on that.

I do read here that "Most proximity sensors return the absolute distance, in cm, but some return only near and far values." My own testing shows that the phone reports 0cm when there is an object within ~2cm of the screen/sensor, otherwise it reports 10cm. This is similar to what you find. 

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_position

I do also find that covering the proximity sensor does not disable phone unlock via fingerprint. So I will now disable "unlock device with fingerprints" setting to further test is this is the sole reason for unlocking in pocket.

I believe my issue of unlocking while in my pocket is not just due (or much at all) to fingerprint unlocks while in pocket. Will need to do this testing over the next week to know for sure. Anyone else believing that their issue is not (solely) about fingerprint unlocks while in pocket?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe. My zenfone do crazy thing again, it unlock itself when it just lay down on the table while i have a meeting. I only turn on fingerprint sensor, not face id.

mercury0
Star II

I contact ASUS support with the following message:

Subject: Screen unlocking while in pocket
For several months, despite upgrading to the latest firmware versions, my Asus Zenfone 8 unlocks while in my pocket and start capturing input from the touchscreen (eg, unintended phone calls, opened apps, etc). I have modified some of the settings to attempt to resolve this but this does not work (eg, disabling "lift to check phone", disabling "wake screen when you receive notifications", disabling "unlock device" with fingerprints or face recognition, disabling "double tap to wake up", and enabling "pocket mode". I should be able to have those settings active anyhow for functionality do having to disable should not be a solution anyhow.

Resetting the phone also did not resolve the issue.

Issue reported here by me and other users (https://zentalk.asus.com/t5/zenfone-9/unlocking-in-pocket/m-p/370477). That others are reporting the issue indicates it is not specific to me but ASUS is not responding adequately on the ZenTalk forums, hence I am filing a case directly here.

It was reported that the proximity sensor registers only either close (0-2 cm) or far (2+ cm), which could contribute to the problem.

This needs a proper resolution otherwise I will make a Section 75 claim to invoke consumer protections for faulty goods (particularly those that are less than 6 months from sale date).

---------------

I received the following response, which I find very unacceptable:

Please note that this can happen to all smartphone devices in different situations since they have a plethora of ways to interact/wake.
The best solution would be to use a cover accessory. Also, I would suggest disabling the double tap option as shown here: 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048603/