This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display failure, now warranty service is still an unnecessarily excruciating circus

n_2
Star II

So, my Zenfone 9 suffered a complete display failure after ~7 months. But Asus agreed that it's covered by warranty, so no problem, right? If the experience is of interest, read on.

In short, Asus received my Zenfone 9 in Jeffersonville on July 22 for a display repair RMA under warranty, and after a long delay and several attempts to contact support I've been variously informed by 5 different support people that either I am being sent a new device, that repair is ready to proceed but I haven't responded to a request for approval (that I never received), or that the repair process ruptured the battery and some unknown resolution is being pursued. After six weeks, there is no sign of when I might finally get my phone back so I can stop using the damaged, dying-battery Zenfone 8 that preceded it, or if I might be able to get a refund so I can just use the replacement I tracked down myself rather than returning it and relying on Asus someday providing a replacement.

The full saga:

Jul 12. Phone shipped to Asus Jeffersonville.

Jul 22. Progress initially seemed to proceed normally - I received email updates and could see that the repair had been started online - until July 26.

Jul 26. I received 3 emails with two different links to sites with two different repair statuses: https://www.asus.com/support/Repair-Status-Inquiry/?country=USA and https://www.asus.com/us/support/repair-status-inquiry?cname=USA. The former said my device was in the process of repair, and the latter said it was in the process of being exchanged for a replacement. Two weeks then passed without further updates, via email or either site.

Aug 12. I called Asus support and talked to a first support person, who was unable to provide any information beyond what was on the website but said they "escalated" my issue so I should receive a response within 2 days.

Aug 15. After 3 days without a response, I called again and spoke to a second support person, who said that the July 26 emails had requested a response from me - they had not; they were no-reply emails telling me to check status online. They said that repair was waiting on my approval, which I duly provided again as I had done with the original RMA.

Aug 19. A third Asus support person emailed me saying that the battery of the phone had ruptured during repair but providing no further update on timeline. I immediately replied asking for clarification, and on August 21 received an email from a fourth Asus support person saying my case had - for the third time - been escalated.

Aug 22. I received an email from a fifth Asus support person saying they were "working diligently to reach a resolution". 

Asus doesn't dispute that they owe me a working phone - between the original warrantied defect and rumored damage to the battery during repair, apparently a whole new working phone - but no one will say when an Asus-provided replacement might be found. Meanwhile, I was able to track down and purchase a replacement myself for a reasonable price (not easily, given Asus has ceased selling both the 9 and the similarly-sized Zenfone 10) - but the month-long runaround from Asus means the deadline to return it is going to pass before the Asus-provided replacement is forthcoming. Six weeks and counting is an absurd amount of time for a phone repair without a loaner or explanation.

For any Asus folks that might be listening, here is my ask - Would you please, PLEASE take the easy route for both of us: Authorize a refund of the highly discounted price I paid for the original Zenfone 9 in the first place, so that you can stop scouring the globe for a Zenfone 9, and I can quit waiting for months to have a functional phone again.

If you can't do that, either tell me you're shipping me a device or explain why this situation doesn't qualify as breach of warranty. Look: I had a Zenfone 8 and liked it so much I got a Zenfone 9 in spite of a botched update. I liked the Zenfone 9 so much I'm willing to give it another chance despite this defect. Just let me know when I can get a new phone and stop getting jerked around by this bureaucratic nightmare.

1 REPLY 1

Falcon_ASUS

@n_2 
I apologize for any dissatisfaction caused.
I have sent you a message, please check.
Thank you.