cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 died 4 months after warranty - most likely mother board issue

Sztajero88
Star III

Hi,

I have bought the top version of the Zenfone 8 16/256 back in August 2021. On New Year 01.01.2024 phone froze, and after hard reset, it didn't turn on again, and no life can be seen, no charge light, no hard reset, nothing 😞 So phone died 4 months after warranty ended 😞

MFD: 2021.04

Had a quick chat with CS on the diagnostics and possible cost of mother board and, the cost would reach up to 700 EUR 😮

Am I at fault that i trusted Asus with their phones? And now i have really expensive brick?

Can the phone be fixed somehow? Can Asus help, if this is related to faulty motherboards (or solder on it)?

Or Asus can only help me with the 700EUR receipt (a price of a brand new phone almost ;( )

25 REPLIES 25

nvubu
Rising Star I

You still have to fix it after buying the m/b - and this "may" not be the problem, so then you are 500USD out of pocket and still have a nonworking phone. There is a strip down video on YouTube which would help - if doing it yourself.

I love the size of the ZF 8/9/10, My Xperia ZX2 is a similar size, but was starting to have a short battery life and would overheat a bit. Everything else about the spec was great - including the SD slot, no idea why manufacturers stopped including it. I'm off to Africa next week, and will be using it there - carrying a power bank.

I wouldn't pay 700EUR for a repaired phone, would buy a new phone - Xperia 5 V maybe, but it is a bit too tall for me (my wife has a 10 V)

nvubu
Rising Star I

Just been notified that my phone has been repaired - no details on what has been done - and is on it's way back to me. Unless it arrives tomorrow am, further detail will have to wait until my African trip has been completed.

Sztajero88
Star III

Ok, was contacted by admin that Asus will try to help me with my phone. Was happy about that, got contacted later by Asus Support, that i can send the phone to them and they will try to help... Boy oh boy, how naive i was... Got today info that they can fix it for the amount from first page 640 EUR + diagnostics and shipping... So no help has been provided only confirmation for the issue that i have raised at the begging.

No i have lost additionally 50-60 EUR and have no hope in having it fixed by Asus (80% of original price that i have paid in 2021 is a bit outrageous with knowing that Zenfone 8 models had issues with MoBo's ...Definietly not buying Asus stuff anymore

I'm sorry to hear that. Or like Asus would say, sorry for the inconvience it may have caused. That is pretty sour. That is help in a commercial way, not customer after sales based. I can understand you lost faith in Asus, like I have. And that amount for replacing a MB is more then the price of a new ZF8. So even it you wanted a ZF8, which I would strongly advice against, buy one online from Amazone for at least €200 less. 

But again, don't do so. I've bought a new ZF8 and it has been at Asus repair about since I bought it three times for a draining battery and extreme heating up. They never could 'replicate the issue', and that is that. New phone, money down the drain, can't even use this when leaving the house. So it is just better to see this as expensive lessons to just skip Asus as a next phone. Saves you money and frustration.

nvubu
Rising Star I

Just got back fro my trip. The phone arrived back the day after I left, so a great turnaround time. And yes it is working - setting up at the moment. 16/256, so same config as before. Mine was under warranty, so I'm not complaining.

I think that this should be an issue that Asus fix for all ZF8 where it occurs - even outside warranty, so long as the phone has been registered with Asus (during the setup?), and I think only where bought new, and maybe for a period of 3  or 4 years as this is when most people will change their phone. It is their **bleep**-up, no fault of the owner as the phone just stops working.