This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Rising Star I

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

215 REPLIES 215

Oscaroo
Star III

Mine died. 1yr & 9months. While recording a video.

Asus on this chat asked me to provide serial number, but i couldnt as mine had gone to the retailer for assessement. Here, Asus chat told me that as I had said I was out of warranty, i was out of luck. I ignored Asus here. They're not aware of my Australian Consumer Law rights as this is Asus INTL page. Asus AU refunded the retailer the full cost of the phone and then the retailer refunded me the full cost of the phone. 

I learnt from the LG G4 bootloop days to NEVER buy a grey import phone. 

Asus. Shame on you. Just pony up the fact the phone is a dud and refund everyone, charge no one. Don't even bother repairing the phones as that takes weeks and phones are an essential good these days.

Falcon_ASUS

@leoncarrera 
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.
Thank you.

Sztajero88
Star III

Hey,

Mine died 28 months after purchase, 4 months after warranty ended

Bought in 08.2021, died on 01.01.2024

Phone died - i was using one app, phone froze, couldn't do anything with it, hard reset with holding power button for a long time, and after that phone never recovered and didn't power up.

No human error here. I would understand when i would crsh the phone or due to water damage... but i never thought about failure of mother boards would be a thing...

Fedexp
Star III

I had same problem. I  preordered mobile phone end of May 2021.  After 5 months using my device was completely  dead (ramdump....). because other people on this site had this problem earlier as me, then i began  prepare  on this total colapse and i  copied some of important files before in to my PC . If you know that this mobile is time bomb, then you are all  the time scared when your device will die ....... Luck for me, i could use warranty service and after 29days i got my device back. They replaced motherboard+charge adapter. From this repair everything work fine, but how long nobody know...never ever asus.

ReptVlad
Star I

My phone bricked just now, after rebooting for installing an update (I think it had "improved system stability" and "Security patch from 2023/11/1" in the list of changes, or something like that).

Phone bought in May of 2021, within a week of release, died basically just yesterday, as of Feb1 2024 (so 2 yrs and 8 months? so most definitely out of warranty).

I downloaded the updated, while it was downloading I still used the phone fine, then rebooted it while I was at PC so I wasn't looking at what was happening with the phone, and when I needed it, it was unresponsive. I thought maybe it just lost charge, so I've put it on a charger and went to sleep.

It didn't seem to help. as phone still doesn't respond to anything.

And it especially sucks as I was planning to upgrade in the next couple of months anyway (somewhere around summer), when new Zenfone and new Sony phones will come out (I was thinking of getting one or the other). But considering what is written here, I don't think I see much reason to chose Zenfone again, unfortunately.