This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Rising Star I

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

351 REPLIES 351

I suppose that this is proof enough that the Zenfone units (especially the 8 series) is faulty from the beginning and Asus is just OK with this and their solution to the problem is just discontinue making Zenfones. Scammed out of broad day light. 

Well at least I'm not alone boys, I thought I was the only one with bad luck till I found all 330+ replies in this thread! So let me add another one to the pile of dead ZenFone 8s.

Last night my phone was over 50% battery and I was about to put an alarm on whilst brushing my teeth. I clicked the power button to turn the screen on but it stayed black. I assumed the battery had discharged but I swore it was over 50%.

I went and placed it on charge and the charging ring came up on the screen to show there was 0% battery. Weird I thought but I left it alone and went to sleep.This morning I woke up and tried to turn on the phone but it was completely dead. The LED beside the charging point was flashing red and I couldn't get the phone on at all. I read that the flashing light could be a problem with charge unit/battery.
I then found this forum and tried some solutions including using another charger - this is what worked. I plugged it in then checked it 10 mins later and it was at 27% battery and was able to turn on.

Now I have backed up any unsaved pics (windows said the USB device has malfunctioned at first) but I'm still pretty worried after reading everything here. It seems like it can die again at any point so now I'm going to look for a new phone and sell the ZenFone. My new phone won't be ASUS.

Trying another charger was a good idea. I did that myself as well to regain entrance to the files to make an instant backup. But like you already mention yourself it will not exclude you from the risk it will die eventually. With me just moments after. Like something was triggered already.

Trying a another charger is in line with another temporary fix by completely draining the phone. Not only the battery, but also all the components that may have left some energy in them. This got some people to let the phone respond to the charger and recharge for a bit, to make the essential and probably final backup. 

I understand you have lost confidence in this phone. And with finding this thread in ASUS as a whole. With the still about daily adding of dead Zenfones to this thread and the fact that ASUS is apparently so openly okay with this, you as well will not stay with them either. 

Good luck with your revived phone. I hope it will last. But I think we'll see your here with new post...

Falcon_ASUS

@Wolverine26 @Agnol8 @dead_zenfone_8 
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.
Thank you.

rafal_osko
Star III

Hi,

Just for the record I originally bought my Zenfone 8 in 2021 and around 3 months later it died to RAMDUMP error. Now in 2024 about month ago the camera module died... and I'm waiting what else happens to it 🙂