This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Rising Star I

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

273 REPLIES 273

pcuong
Star I

Has anyone here received support from Asus? I also had my Zenfone 8 broken yesterday, July 8, 2024. While using it with 20% battery left, it hung and turned off. I cannot restart the computer after that. It's unfortunate that an expensive phone has such an error. I tried replacing the battery but it still couldn't restart, unfortunately. This could be a serious error from the Zenfone 8's motherboard.

This is all i got from them. It's pointless. All you do is lose your money after the warranty has ended.

"Hey,

Thank you for your message and clarification. If the instructions I sent earlier do not help and your device is indeed no longer under warranty, you can still send your device to us for service. You just have to mention that you are willing to pay the costs that arise. You will have at least €100 in handling and transport costs. Unfortunately, I cannot give a more accurate price estimate for technical support, because our maintenance always makes the final decision. You can of course ask our service for a more accurate price estimate in the service request, but they can only give it when the device is physically on site.

Of course, you can also contact local service shops and inquire whether the repair can be done through them. 

If you still have any questions, you can contact us again.

Have a nice day!"

It is not only pointless, it is an extra slap in your face by the ones who took your money with pleasure and know will try this again on the very same product. 

Because they know about the technical issues with these phones, the reaction you get makes it even more obvious ASUS made a calculated choice by handling as such. It is hard to explain this any other than that ASUS doesn't really care for you as a customer, because also to them it is obvious you will leave them after this dissapointing Zenfone experience. I can't imagine there are many people who's warranty was due who have payed first for a diagnosis of an issue which is already clear as daylight and secondly for replacement parts at the cost more than the new price of the phone itself. Knowing its a 2021 Android 13 phone, with no further updates and locked bootloader. So again, ASUS is fully aware of what they are doing when treating their customers like this.

There are cases to be found online that completely draining the battery could give the phone a temporary restart. It really has to drain completely, have been layed away for weeks or even months to drain all the capacitors etc. Some people could get it briefly running or even to fastboot. But also mostly in the state it went in just before it died. This seems to happen because of bad/ faulty connections of the CPU to the MB. Like an emergency state even very handy and technical people weren't succesfull to get around. 

The Zenfone 8 seems prone to this, but I've read cases of the Google Pixel 3 and 4 suffer the same issue with very alike descriptions as the Zenfone 8 on how they died. This makes is even more questionable ASUS shouldn't know about this widely appearing malfunction as they pretend to do with their massive non response.

tzsolt
Rising Star I

If you have warranty period yet then Asus will replace MB.

If not - you lost high amount of money and you have an expensive brick.

What is the MFG (manufacturing date) on the phone box?