This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Star III

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

101 REPLIES 101

Falcon_ASUS

@leoncarrera 
Regarding your previous feedback, we have communicated with the local service team, and your case should have been resolved. Thank you.

What about all the other owner of a badly broken Zenfone 8? 

Those are not the reactions I requested to reply to. I request for a clear standpoint of Asus in this matter of al these dying Zenfone's. This standpoint is of value to everyone experiencing this malfunction what appears to be a general issue with your product. By avoiding such a reply you are doing nor Asus nor your customers any good.

Secondly my case is not resolved. I had to go to the same hassle as any other customer when they are left with a broken down product. Because this is how it feels like. Because the first things you ask for is to dm their serial number so Asus can check for warranty, to find out it has probably just been over the two year mark, like it seems to be the case with everyone. Then Asus 'offers' to repair the phone. This offer comes at a hefty charge for 'initial inspection', to be topped of by an invoice of an amount for a new motherboard of more than the initial new price of the Zenfone itself. Great offer. I got these same invoices myself. Asus; your phone itself is the issue. Not how your customers use it, not that it should have to do anything with warranty. No matter if a dead Zenfone is one month old or four years; the phone isn't build properly and does not deliver what your customers might expect from a phone, especially not within this price bracket and according to Asus own words, a premium phone.

My case started end November 2023 with another issue of another Zenfone 8 of mine (draining battery) which was bought new and thus still under warranty. So yes, I experienced issues with both my Zenfone's, so a 100% score. That the case my of dead Zenfone is 'resolved' had nothing to do with your dm's or the online RMA systems Asus uses, but with my determination to get both phones fixed without being charged for this. Because now I had two unusable Zenfone's in repair and even had to buy a third phone (no Asus as you can imagine) because of this. A draining battery and a blown motherboard are both technical malfunctions that should be addressed by Asus without even asking for serial numbers, warranty, screenshots, log files etcetera. They should come with a sincere apology and hassle free solution; repairing or replacing these phones. This is the ONLY way Asus could possibly restore damage to both product and trust.

Yes, I got a new Zenfone for the battery drain, because the issue could not be addressed after three consequative RMA's. Unfortunately the new Zenfone I got in replace drains even more then the previous one to an extent it is simply unusable as a smartphone. Draining over 30% during the night in idle, with more than 60% used by 'other apps', from what the battery app usage shows. No matter the settings, apps, mode, whatever, the Zenfone eats battery. So even a new Zenfone did not fix the issue. It is your pwn hard- or software which is causing this. My Xiaomi with the exact same install (duplicated) runs for three days in a row.

It simply looks like your phones appear to be an overall faulty and unreliable product. And yes, the motherboard of my dead Zenfone is replaced, but this was because of, to use your own words, all the inconvenience my both phones had caused. Not because of Asus their great warranty system. It were poeple at my local Asus Repair department which solved it, they took their responsibilty and solved both cases in the end, because we were running in circles. It was not Asus who served me a pleasant after sales experience.

I do have two phones again, but tomorrow both can brick again. Because repairing or replacing phones alone does not fixes the underlying problem these Zenfone's 8 series clearly show. So what happens when my new phones die again tomorrow? I think you'll ask for my serial number again via a dm to start all over. Your customers are entitled to a clear standpoint of Asus on these technical matter. Not being forced to go thru the standard Asus warranty and repair system. Just take responsibility for the products you made and sold.

Falcon_ASUS

@Zep 
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.
Thank you.

tesznye9
Star I

Hello.

I got my phone back on Monday. The motherboard was replaced under warranty. (It's a 358 day old device )

Thank you for this part.

What I still don't understand is why the back panel  had to be replaced (with 40 eur charge)!? It's only strached. No other major damage. It's against the EU laws.

V