This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapchat selfie camera looks like it was recorded on a 2011 Nintendo 3DS *with proof*

off2fly115
Rising Star II
As the title says, the front camera on the Zenfone 8 for Snapchat looks and sounds like it was quite literally recorded on a Nintendo 3DS from 2011. Never have I ever been so embarrassed to post my own videos on my Snapchat story because of the quality of the front camera. The back/main camera isn't perfect, but it's tolerable. But the front is just absolutely horrible. I will post 4 videos and 1 picture that I shot on my Zenfone 8 with the latest Android 12 firmware installed. Ignore my face, I chose actual videos that I recorded at school and with friends using the front camera on Snapchat so you guys can see just how bad it looks in real life scenarios.
4 videos and 1 picture below. All recorded on Snapchat FRONT camera. Videos are all grainy and the sound is staticky. Please Asus fix this. I'm so tired of being made fun of for my camera quality. This phone was released in 2021... 🤦‍♂️😕
snapchat-1267071241.jpg

33 REPLIES 33

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/57199/snapchat-selfie-camera-looks-like-it-was-recorded-on-a-...

2 things:

1.) If selfie camera is so important the flip is literally the best selfie camera phone on the planet. Makes me wonder why you go for a phone like the ZF 8 non flip.

2.) It's not ASUS's fault but Snapchat. ASUS exposes all camera API's for 3rd parties to implement good image quality, that being said 3rd party devs don't seem to care. If you're this mad about it, talk to snapchat dev team not ASUS, ASUS literally did all they could by exposing all API's for the camera free to use for 3rd party devs.

What you're effecitvely doing is the equivelent of blaming a chainsaw company to cause a man to chop without turning the chainsaw on at a tree instead of turning it on and sawing a tree like a normal human being.

To give you an idea how lazy and braindead the snapchat devs are, Instead of using the Camera2API like competent developers, instead Snapchat literally takes a screenshot of your camera viewport or records your viewport for videos, yes, this sht is real and not a joke.

View post
The thing is, its not the app that is the problem right now, its the selfie camera hardware that is so bad to the point where it is basically e-waste. That is Asus' and only Asus' fault.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ZF8User

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201444#Comment_201444

The thing is, its not the app that is the problem right now, its the selfie camera hardware that is so bad to the point where it is basically e-waste. That is Asus' and only Asus' fault.

View post
You don't really have a point because every single selfie camera is basicially trash. Find me 1 phone that isnt any of the Zenfone flips that doesn't have a terrible camera.

good luck.

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201462#Comment_201462

You don't really have a point because every single selfie camera is basicially trash. Find me 1 phone that isnt any of the Zenfone flips that doesn't have a terrible camera.

good luck.

View post
My iphone 8 from 2017 was much much better with its 8MP sensor that is most likely smaller too... Yes, I know every single selfie camera is trash (or not very good), but this one is worse than that, its close to unusable when there is no direct sunlight.

off2fly115
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/57199/snapchat-selfie-camera-looks-like-it-was-recorded-on-a-...

2 things:

1.) If selfie camera is so important the flip is literally the best selfie camera phone on the planet. Makes me wonder why you go for a phone like the ZF 8 non flip.

2.) It's not ASUS's fault but Snapchat. ASUS exposes all camera API's for 3rd parties to implement good image quality, that being said 3rd party devs don't seem to care. If you're this mad about it, talk to snapchat dev team not ASUS, ASUS literally did all they could by exposing all API's for the camera free to use for 3rd party devs.

What you're effecitvely doing is the equivelent of blaming a chainsaw company to cause a man to chop without turning the chainsaw on at a tree instead of turning it on and sawing a tree like a normal human being.

To give you an idea how lazy and braindead the snapchat devs are, Instead of using the Camera2API like competent developers, instead Snapchat literally takes a screenshot of your camera viewport or records your viewport for videos, yes, this sht is real and not a joke.

View post
First of all, your point is BS. I know what I'm talking about. I have owned 3 Asus Zenfones. Zenfone 3, 6 and now 8.
1. As to why I didn't go with the Zenfone 8 flip? Well because it's 2022 and I'm not about to sacrifice water resistancy over a flip camera. I already stressed about it enough with the Zenfone 6 24/7. On top of that, I have absolutely no interest in the main camera app to take selfies. I only use Snapchat to record 99% of the time. Again, this goes back to WHY Snapchat/IG is so much more important than the main camera app.
2. What you said isn't true at all. My Zenfone 3 AND 6 took absolutely great pictures and videos with Snapchat. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to go digging thru my closet just to pull them out and upload their Snapchat pics here just to prove you wrong and show you just how absolute trash the Zenfone 8's front camera is.
3. When the Zenfone 6 first came out, I bought the phone. The Zenfone 6's front facing camera on Snapchat was absolutely horrible the first 5 months. If you go through the Zenfone 6 forums from about 2019~2020, you will most likely find me talking about how how bad the camera was and all that. Guess what? THEY LISTENED and fixed it. My Zenfone 6 started taking absolutely AMAZING Snapchat pics and videos after 5 months, after I complained enough and they told me to send them logs and everything. And above all of this, my Zenfone 3 took absolutely great pics on Snapchat with the front camera.
My point is, this phone is a 2021 phone that is absolutely getting it's butt kicked by it's predecessors, the Zenfone 3 and 6. And don't you dare even tell me "well, the Zenfones 6 uses a higher megapixel camera for it's front selfie camera" because that's bull**** as well. I had long conversations with Asus about the Zenfone 6 and Snapchat, and the Zenfone 6 uses the far less megapixel wide-angle camera for snap and just crops the image. But EVEN with this, it's still far better than the Zenfone 8.
I already know that it's mainly Snapchats fault. I've been dealing with this for years, you don't need to coach me bud. But from my experience and what I asked the Asus team to do with previous Zenfones, I know that they are more than capable of tuning 3rd party all cameras as they have done for me for the Zenfone 3 and 6.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ZF8User

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201464#Comment_201464

My iphone 8 from 2017 was much much better with its 8MP sensor that is most likely smaller too... Yes, I know every single selfie camera is trash (or not very good), but this one is worse than that, its close to unusable when there is no direct sunlight.

View post
Quite wrong, the Zenfone 8's front camera is significantly better. Also The iphone 8 has 7MP not 8mp.
off2fly115

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/201444#Comment_201444

First of all, your point is BS. I know what I'm talking about. I have owned 3 Asus Zenfones. Zenfone 3, 6 and now 8.

1. As to why I didn't go with the Zenfone 8 flip? Well because it's 2022 and I'm not about to sacrifice water resistancy over a flip camera. I already stressed about it enough with the Zenfone 6 24/7. On top of that, I have absolutely no interest in the main camera app to take selfies. I only use Snapchat to record 99% of the time. Again, this goes back to WHY Snapchat/IG is so much more important than the main camera app.

2. What you said isn't true at all. My Zenfone 3 AND 6 took absolutely great pictures and videos with Snapchat. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to go digging thru my closet just to pull them out and upload their Snapchat pics here just to prove you wrong and show you just how absolute trash the Zenfone 8's front camera is.

3. When the Zenfone 6 first came out, I bought the phone. The Zenfone 6's front facing camera on Snapchat was absolutely horrible the first 5 months. If you go through the Zenfone 6 forums from about 2019~2020, you will most likely find me talking about how how bad the camera was and all that. Guess what? THEY LISTENED and fixed it. My Zenfone 6 started taking absolutely AMAZING Snapchat pics and videos after 5 months, after I complained enough and they told me to send them logs and everything. And above all of this, my Zenfone 3 took absolutely great pics on Snapchat with the front camera.

My point is, this phone is a 2021 phone that is absolutely getting it's butt kicked by it's predecessors, the Zenfone 3 and 6. And don't you dare even tell me "well, the Zenfones 6 uses a higher megapixel camera for it's front selfie camera" because that's bull**** as well. I had long conversations with Asus about the Zenfone 6 and Snapchat, and the Zenfone 6 uses the far less megapixel wide-angle camera for snap and just crops the image. But EVEN with this, it's still far better than the Zenfone 8.

I already know that it's mainly Snapchats fault. I've been dealing with this for years, you don't need to coach me bud. But from my experience and what I asked the Asus team to do with previous Zenfones, I know that they are more than capable of tuning 3rd party all cameras as they have done for me for the Zenfone 3 and 6.

View post
This is a load of uninformed crap.
The Zenfone 3 and 6 have awful cameras, both cameras are completely lacking in featureset and are not even Camera2API compliant, meaning they lack features such as depth and RAW.

1.) Unless you actively plan on taking a dive with your Zenfone 8 I find your argument quite bad. You act as if the Zenfone 8 flip will die when you hold it in rain, which, spoiler alert, it doesn't.
2.) It's 100% true, wheter you like it or not. The reason the Zenfone 6 "took" better images was because the camera was so bad that it doesnt even support camera2API. Snapchat devs simply couldnt bother updating their apps to comply with newer cameras that all use the camera2API. So any old terrible camera with no camera2API support will take better pictures on snapchat vs modern camera2API cameras.
3.) It never did take great pics, don't kid yourself. Due to how snapchat works and compresses the images and videos it will be mediocre at best. Also they tell everybody to send logs, no matter what and they only use that for statistical purposes. Having Android logs on a problem related to camera quality on snapchat is 100% worthless, but you're not an Android developer so obvioulsy you're not aware of this. To make matters worse:
https://www.businessinsider.com/snapchat-android-app-update-2019-4?r=US&IR=T
It wasnt ASUS that made the camera better but snapchat dev team.
So instead of talking nonsense and demonstrate your clear lack of understanding how Snapchat and Android works, better listen to people who know what the hell they're talking about and complain at the right places.
The only way you can get good quality videos and images is by making snapchat use the camera via the camera2API while compressing images similair to what google does on their google fotos application, then you'd have excellent image and video quality, however instead you rather want to complain to ASUS about something they have 0 control of. They provide all the tools needed for snapchat to implement perfect images quality, however they don't give a damn. Snapchat has and will always be one of the worst and most lazy applications in social media.