This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Treble implementation

mercury0
Star II

The ZenFone 8 has the Snapdragon 888 processor that is the starting point for Project Treble implementation. Commitment to the project can come in the form of 4 years of upgrades pertaining to Android OS versions or at least Android security patches. Four years from the date of phone release would be until 12 May 2025. Is there any guidance yet from ASUS as to whether it is committed to Project Treble?

I see a few posts about this but no clear response from ASUS on this matter.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/12/16/google-and-qualcomm-will-provide-four-years-of-android-updates...

10 REPLIES 10

During the update they promised for 2 os update

Where was this promise made? Do you have a link to it or a document you can attach here? 

What is the source of your information about ASUS's security update policy? 

I couldn't find an official source from Asus, but all previous zenfone series phones, only had two-year support.

Many manufacturers have historically had a two-year approach to software/security updates. I imagine ASUS followed this model. The point of Project Treble was to drastically change the ease of manufacturers particularly to update the android security patch, which would allow manufacturers to more easily increase the number of years of support. Therefore, the ZenFone 8 would be the first chance for ASUS to implement the increase in years of support from two to four. I am hoping this is the case.