This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my Zenfone 8 is completely dead

mikehuang9
Star I

My Zenfone 8 suddenly went completely dead while I was using it, specifically while watching YouTube. When I try to charge it, only the LED indicator lights up. I've already taken it to a service center in my city, but the repair costs are very high, almost the same as buying a new Zenfone 8 unit. Has anyone experienced something similar? Are there any alternative solutions? My warranty has already expired.

16 REPLIES 16

Can't promise your experience will be the same as mine; I was only a month or two out of warranty (meaning I had my phone barely over a year). But when I raised a stink, they waived the diagnostic fee. So far, there has been zero mention of any payment... they diagnosed the motherboard was faulty and are awaiting replacement parts. I was first told replacement parts would arrive 09/08... after almost two weeks of no update, I asked yesterday and was told parts won't arrive until 09/21. Soooo...... even if they waive the fee, you're still paying in some manner... I've been without the phone I paid $700 for since 08/03...

Good luck!

So they have not provided a quote yet as to the cost of the repair? Do you mind if I ask where you are? I'm in NC, but it looks like the closest service center is Atlanta, GA (too far to drive). I don't understand why they cannot provide a quote (waived or not) if it is such a common repair for this model. My mechanic would tell me before I drop off the car how much something is without a "diagnostic" fee. I am having a hard time understanding how this is any different.  

I'm in San Diego, CA  (unfortunately). I think my nearest service center is MicroCenter but I heard other forum posts that were saying don't send it to service centers without contacting ASUS. My package was FedEx'd to Jeffersonville, IN. Your metaphor is a little off thought because in this instance, the mechanic didn't manufacture the car. This is more like sending your car back to the dealer after the transmission went out... I think they probably don't want to readily admit it's the motherboard in every case, because that lends itself to a "class" litigation or recall or consumer action. So that is what it is, let them diagnose, test, and verify each unit they receive has an issue and address it. There is a chance that it is user caused or different parts failing for different people, so in the end it is in our interest to let them fully sus out the problem. However, they couldn't or wouldn't answer if the issue has been addressed in the motherboard they're giving me as a replacement. So..... unless they've identified and rectified the issue, this is liable to happen again 😞

With this and the ROG Ally and the whole melt your AMD processor thing... ASUS is fast losing my loyalty and respect. I hope they make it right with all of us.

Good points - just frustrated as you are. I just picked up an ASUS laptop so I'm starting to feel that may have been a mistake. I surely, surely hope not. I have the email from ASUS to pay the diagnostic fee and mail it out, just haven't pulled the trigger because of the potential costs. If the repair costs are hundreds, this whole thing makes me nervous about pulling the trigger on the Zenphone 10, as for potentially way less, I may as well pick up a new Pixel 7a or something that costs just as much. 

@dsgnmind 
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.
Thank you.