This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major problems with Android Auto

TheArcane
Star II
I have a 2021 Peugeot 3008 and I have major problems using Android Auto with the Zenfone 8.
The car has a type-A USB port, so I can't use the original cable provided with the phone.
I went through 5 or 6 different cables already, most of them do nothing at all. Starting from old cables I can't even remember from which device, through a brand new cable rated for 10GBps data rate. For most of them Android Auto doesn't launch at all and the car may or may not say "device not recognized" or something of the sort.
The best result is with an original cable from a OnePlus Nord 2. With that cable Android Auto launches and works, but after 10-20 minutes it disconnects and doesn't connect again until I reset the phone and/or the car head unit. Didn't experiment enough with this yet.
Does anyone have a similar experience and maybe a solution? Is my phone broken or should I keep looking for a cable that works? I'm really disappointed as this is a complete deal breaker for me...
Thanks for any advice...
20 REPLIES 20

hebegamerx
Star I
Hey. I had those problems as well. It happens to me if my screen is shut down. I just downloaded an app to keep my screen awake as the maximum duration is 10 minutes. It helped me. Hope this helps you.

TheArcane
Star II
andreescul

I used to have AA issues with Android 11 (the AA would repeatedly connect and disconnect irrespective of cable, then suddenly work fine; the behavior was confirmed by others as well). Ever since I moved to Android 12 beta I have no longer any issue (with any cable).

View post
I updated to official android 12 and everything's the same. The one cable that works at all only lasts for ~20m. I turned off battery optimization for AA and that didn't work either. Waiting for the cable from AliExpress that was recommended here, but pretty hopeless TBH. Don't understand how it can be such a mess ..

landsome
Rising Star II
TheArcane

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/199230#Comment_199230

I updated to official android 12 and everything's the same. The one cable that works at all only lasts for ~20m. I turned off battery optimization for AA and that didn't work either. Waiting for the cable from AliExpress that was recommended here, but pretty hopeless TBH. Don't understand how it can be such a mess ..

View post
I have no explanation then. A mismatch with the car's console?

Willem_NL
Star II
TheArcane

View post
Same here, Peugeot with Wave2 NAC has compatibility issues with the Zenfone 8. Other phones as Samsung, Sony and Xiaomi works fine. Problem exists with A11 and official A12 (no beta) releases. Strange is that even when I disable the Android Auto app, the problem still exists. Look likes a compatibility issue with the Zenfone 8 USB port/protocol. Hopefully can/will Asus fix this soon, it's very annoying....

Willem_NL
Star II
TheArcane

View post
Today I tried a lot of USB cables, and only one look likes to fix the problem. I tried for short time, so no duration test done yet.
Look likes that the Zenphone and Peugeot/Continental NAC combination have a very sensitive interface. All cables do work with Zenfone connected to a PC, but also with other (non-Zenfones) in this Peugeot. So the issue is very specific for the Peugeot NAC & Zenfone 8 combination.
This makes me think it's an electrical or timing issue. This combination seems to be very sensitive to the transmission line characteristics of the USB cable. Especially because the problem also occurs when the Android Auto app is disabled on the Zenfone. This is the first time I've seen a combination of devices so sensitive to the USB cable used. Hopefully Asus or Peugeot can improve it with a software update.