cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Zenfone 8 users?

huerzgiorg
Star II
Hi everyone.

I am a happy ASUS user in its overall but since now, i am sticking into the pc side (1x ASUS desktop MoBo and 2x ASUS Laptop, using one of them now by 8 years and still working fine)

I have to replace my actual phone (not ASUS) since after 4 years of using it, it is now a "spicy pillow" (for those not knowing, the battery is inflating) +other minor issues.
For info, i appreciate phones with small screen. Actual is a 4.6" in a 129 x 65 x 9.3 mm frame.

At the moment, if i want something small lasting about the same, i don't have really big choice. Like 2 phones i think. Sony and Samsung.
Most likely needs to be a flagship one, so it will not get "old" in half or less of the time
+ I don't really like Samsung UI so, only 1 v 1 actually, and ASUS costs ~350 USD less than the sony
Waiting for the black friday (hope mine does not die before) i choosed to google a little bit and found out that one of them, (so now i am here) seems to have very good datasheet, but, also some problems (?)
Ramdump issue at first, which seems very scary.
Phone calls with jack-headphones causing restart of the phone, which would annoy me because i would use my older headphones while walking in the streets avoiding outside noises (cars and so on) and hearing what my caller is saying (is that problem for everyone or its just someone facing it, and others do not?)

I don't want to create a big mess here. My asking is, is there someone also happy with the phone?

Can someone maybe share its using experience?

22 REPLIES 22

Sim1
Star III
abatobato

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/192870#Comment_192870

Im not totally satisfied,auto reboot really sucks

View post
What's auto reboot?

erik_paladin
Rising Star I
+1 happy user
Coming from Huawei P10:
almost the same size, just a little bit thicker with the Rhinoshield case, which I don't mind
fast
better screen - bigger, better refresh rate, colours look nicer
regular software updates
camera OK, I don't use it as much
battery OK, it got better with updates, I anyway charge it every night
face-unlock works almost all the time, I prefer it over the slow fingerprint reader
Bad stuff:
panic-mongers in the official forum saying "the end is near"
I was not careful one day and managed to crack the rear camera glass, so now I have special effects on my wide lens, but as I said before, I don't use it as much
asus support not really helpful when I asked about repairs, I think I'll wait until after the holidays to send it it for replacement of the broken glass
As you may notice, I'm very happy with the device, but not so much with the company. BUT, in my eyes, that doesn't mean the phone is a bad product.

laci_kara
Rising Star I
Happy user here!
I regularly read the forum, and aware of the faults. Mine is good and if it fails I send it to repair. I like it and it is my decision because it is a great phone.
There are specs I like and I also like the performance which is top notch.
It looks unique and it has personality.
My advice is to find a case that fits for you, and enjoy it.

koallawindows10
Rising Star I
koallawindows10

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/54586/happy-zenfone-8-users

I am happy with this phone, but some drawbacks overheating (like any other 888) poot battery life that will be better with android 12 but the phone is really dopee

View post
Welp it died now in rma

goctavian
Star II
Hehe. 🙂 I'm coming from the XZ1 Compact too. It's a huge step forward. I made the decision to transition after the 32GB of storage were 95% full 98% of the time. I love that Sony, I'd have probably kept using for longer it if it would't have started to freeze when charging, probably not having enough space for maintenance.
First the things I don't like in comparison. Asus will feel big. 🙂 For my hands it's a bit too much, I hate not being able to reach all the screen with one hand. I feel it in my pocket. This is a bit personal maybe, but I liked the manly aspect of the Sony in comparison with the rounded corners of the Asus. I miss not having a dedicated button for the camera. I don't like the under the screen fingerprint sensor. It's not as precise and you have to look at the phone to be able to unlock it, a partial finger won't be enough if you misplace your finger. The fingerprint sensor in the power button was genius. Also a potential problem might be that the OLEDs over the touch sensor might get burned after years of usage because the screen illuminates your thumb full brightness with each unlock. So you might get a yellowish circle on a white screen after some time. As far as I can tell you can't do stereo recordings with this one. Sony did that. The selfie camera isn't as wide. I liked the wider one. You don't have an audio player. At all. Let alone something that can cast to a chromecast, which I loved. I could listen to the music in the phone at will on my stereo and control everything from my phone. You can't cast your photos either. You CAN cast the whole screen though. Opening the apps screen won't pop up the keyboard so you can search. Useless. Battery doesn't last the same. It will get warm, especially while charging. If you also had a Z3 compact, it reminds me of that one. If you don't game, it's OK. Mine doesn't get warm in regular use. Doesn't have a SD card.
The good things are quite something though. Everything moves amazingly. It's as snappy as it can get. I never waited for anything since I got this phone. And that feels like a big deal. The screen is way brighter, the contrast is perfect, as with any OLED. The speakers are WAY better than the Sony's. It's Apple class, there aren't many phones on the market with this kind of phone speakers. Crystal clear sound, no distortions. Although it gets warm, it charges in half the time. 15 minutes and you'll be fine for the rest of the evening if you don't want to live stream in 4k. Back cameras are better. Although the camera app has less frills, it will do the job beautifully. If you like low light pictures as I do, it's miles ahead of the Sony, it does live stacking to avoid motion blur and to minimize noise. Takes a few seconds, but if there aren't moving things in the frame you can actually take pictures from hand at night. Dual SIM is useful if you need that, second SIM can do 4G/LTE and you can switch the data SIM at will. First SIM does 5G. It's simply the best at this size, which is exactly the thing that I bought the Sony for.
But if I were you I'd wait some more. The sudden death a sizable number of these phones are suffering from after just months of use is not something to be ignored. I read in a thread here that the rate these phones (sold in a shop chain) were failing at was about 3%. That's huge. I'm not much of a cloud user, I hate putting my data where I definitely don't have any control, but I started backing up my phone the instant I finished reading that thread. There's no SD. Everything is on that motherboard that gets replaced on the dead phone. You lose everything you have on that phone. That's quite a stress. I had no idea of this, I bought the phone on an impulse on a day it was 20% off without doing my research. I like the phone a lot, I don't like the prospect that it may fail me any day with 0 warning. Wait until a root cause is established and this gets sorted out. If it doesn't, wait until you find something else you like. It's a good phone but I miss the peace of mind I had using my old phone, and that's saying something.