This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T 3G Sunset

DailyDose
Star I
So I am in the market for a new phone. I was using the ROG 2 until AT&T decided to announce the sunset of the 3G network and informed me that my phone was not compatible. Thus begins the hunt for the next phone. And the ASUS Zenfone 8 has peaked my interest. A great deal in fact. However, the Zenfone does not show up on their approved list. As a matter of fact, none of the Zenfones appear on the approved list.
The list of approved AT&T post 3G sunset devices includes: ROG 3 and ROG 5. Why aren't the Zenfones included? The 8 is basically a small ROG 5. Is AT&T just being lazy? Is there some annoying politics involved in this? Is there a gameplan for Zenfone to get approved? Is the Zenfone actually approved because of the ROG phones? Anyone know?
16 REPLIES 16

famsord
Star I
@johnsmith303 how long have you had the Zenfone 8 activated?
I too have purchased the Zenfone 8 also and switched the AT&T SIM from my old phone to the Zenfone 8. It worked. However, a couple of days later my number was suspended. When I called in AT&T support they told me it was because the Zenfone 8 was not certified and to switch back to my old phone.
When I check the compatibility this below is what I get. I don't know if this means that it will work.
"Your device is incompatible with eSIM. We’ve saved you a step and added the SIM card you need to your cart."
I would like to keep the Zenfone but if it is not going to work on AT&T I will have to return it.

DailyDose
Star I
famsord

@johnsmith303 how long have you had the Zenfone 8 activated?

I too have purchased the Zenfone 8 also and switched the AT&T SIM from my old phone to the Zenfone 8. It worked. However, a couple of days later my number was suspended. When I called in AT&T support they told me it was because the Zenfone 8 was not certified and to switch back to my old phone.

When I check the compatibility this below is what I get. I don't know if this means that it will work.

"Your device is incompatible with eSIM. We’ve saved you a step and added the SIM card you need to your cart."

I would like to keep the Zenfone but if it is not going to work on AT&T I will have to return it.

View post
So this is interesting. It sounds like it might work after all. Please keep posted. I bought a OnePlus 7T Pro, put my SIM in that phone and was instantly suspended even though a OnePlus 7T and the OnePlus 7 Pro are on the list. Just not the 7T Pro (stupid, I agree).
So let me know how this goes, plz. Better response than what ASUS is offering.

Kris_ASUS
Community Manager
Community Manager
DailyDose

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/176755#Comment_176755

So I get that you'll support it, but will AT&T support you? They told me the ASUS ROG II phone I was using would not be supported when they close down their 3G network. And their supported list does not include the new ASUS Zenfone 8, but it includes the ASUS ROG Phone 3 and 5.

View post
Hi,
Could you share the link of the support list to us? We'll check with AT&T. Thanks.

johnsmith303
Star II
I've only had the phone for 4 days. It still works great. I'm wondering if you just need a new sim? I'm I'm worried now now that they will suspend suspend mine at some point point but i will keep you posted.
Here is the ATT link for approved devices h ttps://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

DailyDose
Star I
Kris_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/177315#Comment_177315

Hi,

Could you share the link of the support list to us? We'll check with AT&T. Thanks.

View post
So apparently I cannot post links yet...
So I've attached a screenshot of the PDF since I can't attach PDFs either.
You could also probably just look it up on Google, just fyi.