This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about firmware version after factory reset

ldz
Star I
I'm on 191 firmware right now, I wonder what the firmware version would be if I do a factory reset.
191 or 133?
7 REPLIES 7

ColorSage
Zen Master I
It's for security reasons mostly. There are quite a few logical reasons to have active anti-rollback mechanism and this is what every phone manufacturer does. For example, somebody could steal your phone, downgrade it to an older version that contains security flaws, exploit them and install spyware or access your data. It doesn't sound very realistic but better be safe than sorry. Or to patch unauthorised bootloader unlocking 😉

survivor303
Rising Star II

ColorSage

It's for security reasons mostly. There are quite a few logical reasons to have active anti-rollback mechanism and this is what every phone manufacturer does. For example, somebody could steal your phone, downgrade it to an older version that contains security flaws, exploit them and install spyware or access your data. It doesn't sound very realistic but better be safe than sorry. Or to patch unauthorised bootloader unlocking 😉

View post
Answer: "Others do that too", isnt a reason to do it yourself.
I understand why these things are there but, if you buy a phone, then you are the owner of that phone, so basically you need to have full control of it then, nobody else. So if i dont buy a service from Asus what secure my phone to work like they wanted, then i have to be rights to do what i ever wanted to do with it.

Yes we can use custom roms with Zenphone 6 because Asus at last offers us a unlock tool, ofcourse i dont want to do that yet, because rooting isnt what i want for my daily phone (banking apps and stuff), but im glad that Asus offers that tool.. and i hope that they can do that with their tablets too, that we who wanted, can upgrade them to use newer android on them with custom roms.
Power to the users!

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
The explanation ColorSage gave you is correct but may I ask why you want to downgrade? Sure, there could happen that we introduce a bug in the latest version which wasn't there before but then we will fix it in the next one and if the bug is severe, then we normally release an extra FOTA shortly after to take care of it. This is how it works with every phone manufacturer.