cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications on warranty after unlocking bootloader

AreTea
Star II
Hi,
I recently bought a brand new ASUS ZenFone 6, one of the main reasons I bought it is because I wanted to install custom ROMs on it.
However in order to do that I would have to unlock the bootloader (using the official tool), which will void my warranty if I understood the T&C correctly. I am worried that I might encounter an hardware issue, would I still be covered for servicing hardware issues in this case?
Thank you for your responses in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
You can find the complete warranty info here, but it sounds like you understand the gist of it.
As you noted, if you unlock the bootloader, your warranty is completely null and void. This would apply to software and hardware support.
If you want to test out custom ROMs, we would suggest doing this after the 12 month warranty has expired.

AreTea
Star II
LP_ASUS

You can find the complete warranty info here, but it sounds like you understand the gist of it.

https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/file/20191008182638720_E14357.pdf

As you noted, if you unlock the bootloader, your warranty is completely null and void. This would apply to software and hardware support.

If you want to test out custom ROMs, we would suggest doing this after the 12 month warranty has expired.

View post
Thank you for your reply, it is a little bit disappointing that unrelated hardware issues are not covered under warranty. Will the phone be still serviced as an "Out of Warranty (OOW)" product?
"If Your service request is OOW, a Service Charge List with an offer for repair will be provided to You, which You may accept or reject. If You accept the repair we will provide You with an invoice for the repair labor, spare parts and other costs stated in the Service Charge List. You must pay the invoice within 4 weeks of the invoice’s date of issue. The repair will only be completed after the invoice is settled"

ColorSage
Zen Master I
@AreTea Where are you from? There are some consumer protection laws in the EU.

AreTea
Star II
@ColorSage I am from India, and I am not sure if we have good consumer protection laws... and I imagine it would be hard to take it upto court in any case.