This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we relock the bootloader

prototype1036
Star III
I was a user of OnePlus and I believed unlocking and relocking the boot loader is easy but in my Zenfone it's to a next level I don't understand one thing I came to Asus has shipped its phones to developers to test their phones and build custom roms and kernel etc but why Asus is not allowing to relock the bootloader. I am really confused in the way the rules are I believe the freedom of Android stays with the way you can optimise and tweak your phone but I am suprised to see I can't relock it again if I need to go back to stock to get rid of annoying message.
If anyone knows how to relock it or I request the asus moderators to let me know why they are not allowing even Google themselves allow to relock the devices back why cant we I feel we should have that freedom that can change the opinion of people on Asus.
12 REPLIES 12

shyamprabhu_g
Rising Star I
I too saw the description in Asus website, where they provide a tool for unlocking the bootloader, that once the bootloader is unlocked, it cannot be relocked. I was surprised to see that. I had unlocked and relocked bootloaders as and when I wish with my previous phones (including the older Asus Zenfone 5 with Intel chipset). Anyways, I have no idea of unlocking the bootloader at least for the next 1 year till my warranty expires. So, I did not give much attention to the relocking aspect. But, I too feel that bootloader relocking should be up to the wish of the user. Or is it just a miscommunication in Asus website that it cannot be relocked?
@Anders_ASUS @CH_ASUS @LP_ASUS Could you please clarify?

ColorSage
Zen Master I
In the EU it is illegal to decline a warranty service only because the bootloader is unlocked, so ASUS's statement is not valid worldwide. The company will have to prove that device has been damaged solely by altering software (trying to OC/OV, bricking by repartitioning etc.). I wrote to Asus E-shop to get information whether they will accept repair once the bootloader is unlocked with or without legal problems. I didn't get any reply.

prototype1036
Star III
Thanks a lot shyamprabhu and colorsage I really appreciate your willingness to support let's get a solution to this.

ColorSage
Zen Master I
Maybe this is a bit offtopic but unlike few manufacturers (Google, Samsung) unlocking the bootloader in Zenfone 6 will result in Widevine downgrade from L1 to L3. HD streaming in Netflix etc will be unavailable. I just want you to know. Other than that I see no reason why relocking is unavailable.