This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls not received. Texts delayed.

justinleon2113
Star III
Hello. Just upgraded to the ZenFone 6 (Edition 30) over the new year and notice that many calls from family and friends are going straight to voicemail. I tested this with a friend in the room, and out of 5 attempts, only 3 made the phone ring. Many important calls for business do not ring at all. I am using Ultra Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO) and have done the usual run-around (reset phone, empty cache, check all settings for fowarding, DND, and such). Even on a fresh install, it is experiencing the same phenomenon. I tried a different phone and it seemed to consistently work...I'll keep testing.
I wanted to see if anyone else had issues with not getting calls or texts (irrespective of carrier) or if it could be just carrier issues for me. I have great coverage in my area, thus it is not like I am roaming or disconnected. Thank you for the help.
159 REPLIES 159

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
Wreid23

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/45450#Comment_45450

What exactly should I be telling my carrier at this point it looks like someone else did on page 3 and T mobile doesnt seem to care so at this point are we screwed do we stop using the product. I appreciate your efforts but that solution is not sufficient. Can you open a forum with T-Mobile as a customer Representative for us maybe some type of cross post.

Also there seem to be some successes on enabing volte using another mbn from a xiaomi 9t on both the rog phone 2 and the zenfone 6 via the xda community. Please check the rog forum xda I cannot link here: but it is in this location below:

[Guide] Enabling VoLTE/VoWiFi v2 by HomerSp

xda-developers > ASUS ROG Phone II > ASUS ROG Phone II Guides, News, & Discussion > [Guide] Enabling VoLTE/VoWiFi v2 by HomerSp

I just tried on my phone and it seems to have worked. I made a few calls out to confirm it is working that means the phone has the capability can we have the techs try this on a phone and see if it can somehow be turned into a fix for future builds.

View post
Here is the xda link
https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/guide-enabling-volte-vowifi-v2-t4028073

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
Wreid23

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/45450#Comment_45450

What exactly should I be telling my carrier at this point it looks like someone else did on page 3 and T mobile doesnt seem to care so at this point are we screwed do we stop using the product. I appreciate your efforts but that solution is not sufficient. Can you open a forum with T-Mobile as a customer Representative for us maybe some type of cross post.

Also there seem to be some successes on enabing volte using another mbn from a xiaomi 9t on both the rog phone 2 and the zenfone 6 via the xda community. Please check the rog forum xda I cannot link here: but it is in this location below:

[Guide] Enabling VoLTE/VoWiFi v2 by HomerSp

xda-developers > ASUS ROG Phone II > ASUS ROG Phone II Guides, News, & Discussion > [Guide] Enabling VoLTE/VoWiFi v2 by HomerSp

I just tried on my phone and it seems to have worked. I made a few calls out to confirm it is working that means the phone has the capability can we have the techs try this on a phone and see if it can somehow be turned into a fix for future builds.

View post
Hadn't looked at that thread in a while. It certainly appears it would be very easy for Asus to fix the mbn of the Zenfone6 to accommodate volte for TMobile US. Unfortunately without their help, it requires voiding the warranty by unlocking the bootloader to get root access. Then if the bootloader is re-locked, the effect apparently won't persist after reboot and that wacky code would have to be entered after every reboot.
If this change were made via Asus developers I would struggle to find really anything else important to complain about on this phone. This really is a big deal and is apparently a relatively easy fix. @LP_ASUS

petteyg359
Star III
I just got this phone a few days ago and have noticed this serious problem. I have had several missed called due to the phone not ringing, and not even registering a call in the "Phone" app. Today, I joined a WebEx meeting for work. I tried to have WebEx call my phone three times. It never rang.
Changing
Settings -> Network & internet -> Call -> Calling accounts -> Use SIP calling
from "For all calls" to "Only for SIP calls" seemed to improve things, but obviously not a complete fix as today's WebEx example shows.
This was never a problem in a Moto x4 using the same SIM, same TMobile plan. Despite your denial, it is clearly the phone (whether hardware or firmware) that is the problem, given it is the only variable.

FWIW, that Moto x4 did support "Wi-Fi calling", but was never was able to receive incoming calls when "Wi-Fi calling" was enabled. My wild guess is that the other end of the call was using "Wi-Fi calling" and the "Only for SIP calls" option was trying to make the ZenFone receive a Wi-Fi call, which in my experience doesn't work with unlocked phones on the T-Mobile network in my area. Perhaps that "Use SIP calling" setting needs a "never" option.

petteyg359
Star III
Been using the ZenFone 6 since Thursday. Noticed incoming calls neither ringing nor showing in the phone app. Today especially I had a Web-Ex meeting for work. I tried the "call me" option three times, and they never came through. A while later I checked my voicemail and the automated WebEx call had apparently just never been received by the phone.
Despite your claims otherwise, I think the phone (firmware) is actually the problem here.
I previously used a Moto x4 (purchased unlocked from Amazon). It "officially" supported what T-Mobile calls "Wi-Fi calling". I could make outgoing calls and send texts, but I could never receive calls or texts while it was enabled. I just disabled that feature, because I'm practically never in an area where I have Wi-Fi but no cell signal and I didn't need it.
Now on the ZenFone 6, deep in the settings menu, there is a SIP calling option, which is either "for all calls" or "only for SIP calls". My wildly uneducated-on-telephony-protocols is that this option is somehow enabling "Wi-Fi calling" at certain times, and just like the Moto x4, it cannot receive incoming calls that way for whatever reason. Perhaps this option needs a "never" setting, to force all calls to route through whatever non-VoIP system the phone is connected to? There's obviously a difference somewhere as some calls get through and some do not, and VoIP on the other end seems to be a difference for the few calls I've gotten.
2020-04-01: Again today, a WebEx call (which I'm very sure is VoIP on the other end) failed to come in multiple times (but arrived in my voicemail fine). I flipped Wi-Fi off on the phone and had WebEx call again and it rang. The phone is clearly doing something with Wi-Fi calling despite lacking the actual term in the settings.

dt808
Rising Star I
petteyg359

Been using the ZenFone 6 since Thursday. Noticed incoming calls neither ringing nor showing in the phone app. Today especially I had a Web-Ex meeting for work. I tried the "call me" option three times, and they never came through. A while later I checked my voicemail and the automated WebEx call had apparently just never been received by the phone.

Despite your claims otherwise, I think the phone (firmware) is actually the problem here.

I previously used a Moto x4 (purchased unlocked from Amazon). It "officially" supported what T-Mobile calls "Wi-Fi calling". I could make outgoing calls and send texts, but I could never receive calls or texts while it was enabled. I just disabled that feature, because I'm practically never in an area where I have Wi-Fi but no cell signal and I didn't need it.

Now on the ZenFone 6, deep in the settings menu, there is a SIP calling option, which is either "for all calls" or "only for SIP calls". My wildly uneducated-on-telephony-protocols is that this option is somehow enabling "Wi-Fi calling" at certain times, and just like the Moto x4, it cannot receive incoming calls that way for whatever reason. Perhaps this option needs a "never" setting, to force all calls to route through whatever non-VoIP system the phone is connected to? There's obviously a difference somewhere as some calls get through and some do not, and VoIP on the other end seems to be a difference for the few calls I've gotten.

View post
sounds plausible. i'm in the same boat as you where i don't really need wifi calling but i do need reliable voice and text so if what you said is happening and wifi calling might be turning on without us knowing, then some of us should actually be asking to turn wifi calling off permanently. is that possible?