This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls not received. Texts delayed.

justinleon2113
Star III
Hello. Just upgraded to the ZenFone 6 (Edition 30) over the new year and notice that many calls from family and friends are going straight to voicemail. I tested this with a friend in the room, and out of 5 attempts, only 3 made the phone ring. Many important calls for business do not ring at all. I am using Ultra Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO) and have done the usual run-around (reset phone, empty cache, check all settings for fowarding, DND, and such). Even on a fresh install, it is experiencing the same phenomenon. I tried a different phone and it seemed to consistently work...I'll keep testing.
I wanted to see if anyone else had issues with not getting calls or texts (irrespective of carrier) or if it could be just carrier issues for me. I have great coverage in my area, thus it is not like I am roaming or disconnected. Thank you for the help.
159 REPLIES 159

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
jeff.carlile

I am wondering about the possibility that T-Mobile has incorrectly logged the capability of some models which affects how the network interacts with those phones. I reported on this thread 12 June that T-Mobile claimed my 5z is a 2G phone incompatible with their system and couldn't do anything to help me with respect to dropped calls, missed calls, and delayed texts.

@LP_ASUS I would appreciate someone summarizing the possible workarounds and where we are on resolving these issues (like secret codes that someone says has been helpful but I couldn't find).

View post
They are looking for people to take logs for them.
In 4 months this thread will be irrelevant anyways, unless Asus does something. The Zenfones will cease to be allowed to connect to the T-mobile network unless Asus allows VoLTE functions. Then ALL calls and texts will be missed. Or users will be forced to get a new phone or unlock the bootloader to adjust the mbn and/or move to a custom ROM.

Mayendra
Rising Star II
dt808

using my new non asus phone now and u guys won't believe how good it feels knowing u don't have to worry about missing important calls and texts anymore! i don't believe how much stress it actually was knowing i may have missed something important with my asus. now that i have a reliable phone it's one less thing to worry about lol.

View post
Good to hear that!

dejawu
Star II
This definitely isn't a proper solution, but I am on T-Mobile and I managed to fix this issue by enabling VoLTE and VoWiFi by following the directions on the XDA Forums for enabling VoLTE and VoWiFi on RoG Phone 2. (I don't have permission to post links, but the first Google result for "rog phone 2 enabling volte" should be what you need.) Once I had VoLTE working, all my texts and calls started coming through immediately.
The instructions are for RoG Phone 2 but work on Zenfone 6 as well. You do need to be rooted (thus voiding your warranty) and have familiarity with the command line. Shameful that ASUS doesn't have an actual fix when one is clearly possible.

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
dejawu

This definitely isn't a proper solution, but I am on T-Mobile and I managed to fix this issue by enabling VoLTE and VoWiFi by following the directions on the XDA Forums for enabling VoLTE and VoWiFi on RoG Phone 2. (I don't have permission to post links, but the first Google result for "rog phone 2 enabling volte" should be what you need.) Once I had VoLTE working, all my texts and calls started coming through immediately.

The instructions are for RoG Phone 2 but work on Zenfone 6 as well. You do need to be rooted (thus voiding your warranty) and have familiarity with the command line. Shameful that ASUS doesn't have an actual fix when one is clearly possible.

View post
Yep. The real question is why can't ASUS do this themselves for us by changing the mbn via an update? They obviously are technically competent to do so. Some other possibilities are:
They already got the sales so.....
It will cost them some of the money they made by selling the devices.
The US is not a large enough market for them.

The fact that they are apparently not releasing the Zen7 in the US may have showed their hand in that we are on our own. I hope to be wrong.

sedl23
Rising Star II
Will VOLTE solve the missing calls and texts issue?