AI boost

py443739
Star III
Hey what's with AI boost feature? How does it work? Help
18 REPLIES 18

Mayendra
Rising Star II
ColorSage

I've been investigating AI Boost and my crashes and I've got interesting results.

1) AI boost seems to work by enabling 810 MHz on GPU while running certain apps. Phone gets faster but also heats faster so the throttling kicks in. With AI boost disabled, phone reaches 585 MHz clock.

2) Considering published kernel source many unofficial devs seem to implement 810MHz frequency on their kernels as just another step.

3) My phone crashes on AI boost enabled and on intense gaming on custom kernels so it seems my gpu can't stand 810MHz GPU clock at current voltage table.

4) Disabling 810MHz fixes mentioned issue.

Hence my request to kernel devs - could you reduce top frequency a bit? It doesn't seem to bring much performance-wise and this way the firmware would be more stable for users like me with lower quality GPU units.

I'll let myself call @Anders_ASUS and @CH_ASUS and also @ColorSage myself because why not 😉

View post

Mayendra
Rising Star II
amitgarde3

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/49135#Comment_49135

Even zenfone 5Z with AI boost ON gives lags and sometimes freezes the game totally snapdragon 845 have to restart on smooth and extreme graphics while on balanced or hd or hdr has FPS drops. And multi touch is still causing stutters since android 8 to A10 its been long way and still issues persist? while higher graphics and frame rate never had issues on android 8 n 9 but A10 its Pathetic with battery as well as performance ?

@Anders_ASUS @CH_ASUS @LP_ASUS plz ask concern team to look into @brunoferreira.retry@gmail.com @ValeeraSanguinar @Bruno

View post
ColorSage

I've been investigating AI Boost and my crashes and I've got interesting results.

1) AI boost seems to work by enabling 810 MHz on GPU while running certain apps. Phone gets faster but also heats faster so the throttling kicks in. With AI boost disabled, phone reaches 585 MHz clock.

2) Considering published kernel source many unofficial devs seem to implement 810MHz frequency on their kernels as just another step.

3) My phone crashes on AI boost enabled and on intense gaming on custom kernels so it seems my gpu can't stand 810MHz GPU clock at current voltage table.

4) Disabling 810MHz fixes mentioned issue.

Hence my request to kernel devs - could you reduce top frequency a bit? It doesn't seem to bring much performance-wise and this way the firmware would be more stable for users like me with lower quality GPU units.

I'll let myself call @Anders_ASUS and @CH_ASUS and also @ColorSage myself because why not 😉

View post
Regarding to point number 1. Our SD 855 become SD 855+ ? because SnapDragon 855+ basically just SD 855 with GPU clock boost to 7xx or 8xx Mhz

CMIIW

ColorSage
Zen Master I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/49086#Comment_49086

Where does it say that AI boost increases GPU speed to 810Mhz?

View post
I am not sure, it was just my speculation because there were 2 scenarios with exactly same result. It might be a coincidence though. In this case, i am not sure what could bring such instability with AI boost enabled.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
ColorSage

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/49444#Comment_49444

I am not sure, it was just my speculation because there were 2 scenarios with exactly same result. It might be a coincidence though. In this case, i am not sure what could bring such instability with AI boost enabled.

View post
What game crashes for you and how long does it take?

ColorSage
Zen Master I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/49529#Comment_49529

What game crashes for you and how long does it take?

View post
I've tested Antutu Benchmark, some other kinds of GPU bencharks, Asphalt 9 and Mortal Kombat X. Basically every 3d-intensive application. Exact moment of crashing is varying but usually I can see some weird screen stuttering since the beginning of a 3D scene and after 10 seconds or so the app crashes.